I made it !!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

spillo

Hello everyone,
At this second I am tired from wlaking but wanted everyone to know I had an edwards Magna Valve ( bovine ) installed in the aortic position at Cleve. Clinic on Wed. the 14th with Dr. Gosgrove. Actually I can't tell my heart was even touched. My only complaint was my chronic back pain got worse, of course. If I had a good back to start with I swear I could have left on the 16th. As it is I leave on the 19th.
I will write more but it will be awhile as my computer is on the second floor of our house. Thanks for all the support. The worst part was removing my urinary cath. Everything else was great.
See you later. Thanks again.
Spillo :D

Spillo, happy to see you posting.

Yes, those blasted catheters are the worst. It's a good thing they have those rails to grab onto in the hospital bathrooms, 'cause the first time you pee, all you can do is grab them and scream.

It took ten days before the irriation was gone for me. I hope you fare much better.

Spillo-Looking Good!

Spillo-Looking Good!

I knew you were going to do great. The right pt., right
surgeon, right hospital- you make it seem easy. Take care
not to overdue. Did you ask Cosgrove if he broke a sweat
while working on you? :rolleyes:

Let me guess, you've already walked a mile today and your not the least bit breathless? :D Welcome back to the wild side.

Spillo,
Just remember, walk walk walk, breath breath breath, nap nap nap. :)
Glad to hear you are doing OK.

Take Care

Welcome to this side of the mountain. Glad to hear how good you have done. Remember there will be good days and no so good days. I hope your recovery is quick and complete.

Spillo, I can hardly believe you were posting that quick! Congratulations. I bet you will climb those stairs pretty quickly when you get home. You sound very, very well.

Spillo,
It's good to hear you sounding so well and strong this soon after your surgery. It certainly is wonderful to have it behind you, n'est pas? Keep us posted as you move through the various milestones of your recovery-we're happy to welcome you to the other side.
Sue

I wonder

I wonder

You cath shouldn't have been any problem. Unless they forgot to deflate the balloon that hold it in place. Hmmmm you didn't take it out yourself. Ive had Pts that have done that. Ouch!

Med

I can't believe you're at home already. Wow! Let's hope you continue to recover at this speed.
Peri

OK, Spillo-

Now comes the best part - recovery at home. Get rest, but also exercise as much as you can - you will be amazed at how the breathing and stretching exercises (which look dumb, I admit) really help! And WALK!

About that Foley cath - I hate having those things taken out. But now it's over; and if that was the worst they could do to you, you came through with flying colors!

Years ago there was a fellow in VR who was having a reoperation, and he said he had a recurring nightmare about the Foley catheter. In his dream, the nurse was trying to remove the catheter, and he dreamed he was running down the hallway after her, trying to keep up, so she couldn't pull it out...

Spillo,

Better late than never, but welcome to the other side. Sounds like you're doing great, just take it easy and don't overdo it.

As for the foley cath mine didn't hurt...just a slight burning, however the doctor was also taking out the pacing wires and the j-drain tube at the same time so it was kind of a "medley" of sensations. :D The chest tubes were the worst for me, the doc didn't get one of them out on the first try and had to come back for seconds...OUCH!

spillo's home now

spillo's home now

Thanks for all the replies,
It is 1 week post op today. I am doing great. I am upstairs in my home. I sleep however I want. I bend and eat and go to the little generals room whenever I want. I do sweat at night and go from hot to cold in the same minute but this is from anethesia. It happened after my back surgery also.
I have 3 back fractures, back surgeries, herniated discs x4. So my back really hurt after avr. I did have one bad day, day 2 post op that I wanted to swig a bottle of morphine but besides that it was a breeze. The urinary cath removal was the worst but the pain only lasted a few seconds. Most of it was in my head so I got over it within 15 minutes.
I had the brand new Magna Edwards bovine pericardial valve installed. Dr. Cosgrove has done thousands of the Edwards Perimount Aortic valve but I was only his 3rd Magna patient. I am a researcher so it was fitting to get something cutting edge. It has been on the market 2 months. It has a new coating on the ring that the Perimount does not. This reduces calcification sites ( where calcification begins ) up to 95%. Calcification was why I had avr, calcification will most probably be why I will have a second avr so best to slow it down as much as possible. It is expected to last 20-25 yrs.
I had a problem with bleeding in surgery. They closed my up, extubated me in the OR, brought me to the CICU but my chest tubes drained too much. I went back to ER where I was intubated, anethatized and opened up just enough to see a sternal wire had ripped a muscle and I was bleeding internal. A snip of the wire, some more stitches, extubated and sent back to the CICU. This took an extra hour. Of course all my family heaard was " he is having a problem with bleeding and needs to go back to the OR ". I am sure they had it worse than me.
So my H&H which was 15 and 45 pre-op was now 8 and 28 post op. It is probably a little higher now. I was on oxygen for 18 hrs. I do not remember those hours. I was in CICU 24 hrs. The CICU nurses at the Cleveland Clinic are the best in the world. One nurse per 2 patients. If you blink they chart it. If you ask for an ice chip it is there within 20 seconds.
The floors at CCF are busy. The care is excellent but the nurses are overworked. This bleed may have been a blessing in disguise because if I wasn't as tired as I get now I would want to be at work right now and my sternum would never heal.
I am 6 ft. tall with average size hands. My incision is the length of my little finger. It is shorter than a regulation business card. When Cosgrove says minimal invasive surgery, he means it !!!
I am on a beta blocker for one month, a baby aspirin for life. Thats it.
I can honestly say each and every employee I came in contact with from transport to M.D.'s were the nicest anywhere. The patient always comes first. Always.
All in all it was an excellent experience. If you go with family members, stay at the Intercontinental SUITES not the hotel. It is $104 per night. 2 beds and a pull out couch. A microwave, fridge, Kit. sink, coffee. Buy food somewhere else and keep the leftovers in the room. Also, the cafeteria has everything from sushi, starbucks, whole roasted chickens to mcdonalds.
American Idols on. Gotta run !
Spillo

Latest posts

Back