I made it...now I have questions!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

roxdrop

Hello everyone,
I wasn't able to post before the surgery because I was incredibly busy with preparations/company/etc. but I wanted to let everyone know that I had my AVR surgery this past Tuesday, was discharged this past Friday, and am feeling better than I imagined I would. Thank you to everyone who offered their wise advice and comfort in the tense weeks leading up to surgery! I've searched the forums, but need a little "live" help with the following questions:

Pain in my right side
The biggest pain I've felt so far is around the incision area, and I've been controlling this with meds. I was very active on Saturday (relatively speaking), but in the early hours of Sunday morning I woke up with more extreme pain, including some along my right side. Pain meds killed this pain and let me go back to sleep, but the pain along my right side persists. It doesn't hurt on its own, just when I breathe in deeply (which has affected my performance with the spirometer). It is a sharp stabbing-type pain when deep breathing, and it runs from the right central pec muscle and down around to the side of my ribs (basically directly under my breast). Due to its location I am not able to feel the muscles with my fingers for tenderness, but I can say it does feel like a pulled muscle. Someone in another thread mentioned a torn intercostal muscle, but I wasn't sure if it would be too early in my progression to have this since I am really still immobilized. My only guess if it is torn is that it happened while doing deep breathing exercises...maybe I just overdid that.

Night Chills
While in the hospital, I experienced chills several times-- but since I slept on and off for most of my time there, it's hard to say if it was night or not when this happened. Now that I am home, I have a better sleep pattern and so far everything has been fine (except pain/discomfort waking me up). However, tonight I woke up with spontaneous chills that made me shake. As soon as I put a warm blanket over me, they went away, but I still felt a little strange. By strange, I mean when I woke up and touched my skin it seemed normal, and my temp was around 96 (my temp is usually around 97 during the day). I didn't feel cold or chilled, but I was shaking and only used the blanket to get the chills to go away. I have not had a fever at all since I left the ICU, and do not feel any other symptoms beyond the pain around the incision and being more tired than I was pre-op. Does this seem normal?

I really appreciate any input you guys may have. I am getting a visit from the nurse today and will see my cardiologist sometime this week and will definitely bring this up-- I just always like to hear from people who have actually experienced this themselves! Thank you!

Congratulations on making it to the other side of the mountain! Life is wonderful on this side.

I don't have specific answers to your questions; you have the right answer in mentioning these things (and any other questions you think of) to the nurse and the cardiologist. It is possible that you overdid it on Saturday. The problem with overdoing it is that you only learn a day or two later, too late to change, that you have overdone it. Take it easy for a few weeks, sleep a lot, rest, walk a little, and then get to cardiac rehab where they can give you specific recommendations for what to do so that you aren't overdoing it, and can also answer many questions you have.

Hi, glad to hear that your surgery went well... I would be a bit concerned about the pain you are having, it is similar to what I experienced and I did have a little fluid in one of my lungs.The pain was very sharp in my side and hurt like heck. It also hurt when I took a deep breath. I would definately call your cardiologist today and let them know what is happening especially where you are also getting chills. Please take good care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.. Rose

Your chest pain sounds very much like plural effussion or perhaps pericardial. You need to contact your Doctor about that asap!

Night Chills/Sweats
Normal-We all went through them too. It will go away in a few weeks.

I had that same type of pain and I was diagnosed with fluid on my lungs. I had to medically have them drained. Call the doctor now, it won't get better on it' own. The night sweats are normal. They will go away in time.

Welcome to the other side of the mountain. I promise it will get better each day.

I'm in agreement with the others. The sharp pain on inhalation could very well be a pleural effusion, and you don't want it to continue.

Welcome home and congrats on making it over the mountain.

Ditto on the suggestions to call the doctor about the pain. You want to make sure it is not something serious.

Good luck.

Glad to hear that all went well with your surgery.

About the chills: Not to scare you, but night chills/shakes (felt like a seizure) were the first recognizable symptoms I had of endocarditis before all went downhill. It is true that experiencing them is one of the post-op phases, since our body can't seem to regulate temperature too well while recovering. It's probably just a phase for you, especially since you aren't spiking a fever or anything. But, since you will be going to your cardio for the other issue, it probably wouldn't hurt to get your blood tested?

Hope everything turns out fine.

Congrats on making it over the hill...........

Congrats on making it over the hill...........

I can only second the others' opinions to get hold of your cardiologist and surgeon and ask them. That IS what they get paid the big bucks for.

Now, to set your mind at rest a bit...............Katie, too, has had severe pains from lower back to chest and stomach post-op. While she has had pleural effusions after the last two surgeries (well, actually three, I guess), the aches and pains just turned out to be "routine" post-op pain from the sternum being cracked open and split apart for a period of time. Eventually, they went away.

Katie, too, has had chills and night sweats (particularly after her third surgery), but she would also run intermittent low grade "mystery" fevers. They, too, eventually went away and her PC finally just reached the diagnosis that this was her body's response to having been so violated.

Having said all that, you do need to make sure that there is nothing else going on, so pick up the phone and give your PC or surgeon's office a call. Prayers coming at you that this does turn out to be just your body's recovering from being violated. Many hugs. Janet

roxdrop said:
...Night Chills ... Does this seem normal?

For the first 2 or so weeks after my MVR surgery, I would often have the chills. Both in the hospital & home. So I'd really bundle up, then wake up a little while later sweating. Back and forth... It slowly got better, went away completely after 2-3 weeks.

Glad to hear your surgery went well.:)

-Paul

My surgery was March 1st.
I have the same pain as you. It only happens when I am lying on my back or on my right side. It really hurts when I breath in. When I am standing, sitting or walking I have no pain at all. I see the cardiologist on monday so I will bring it up then,
Have you talked to your cardiologist yet?
Glad to see everything else went well.

cardiologist says...

cardiologist says...

Thanks everyone!

I did see my cardiologist and he said my pain is likely muscular, but he ordered a chest xray just to play it safe. I still haven't gone in for the xray because I need my PCP's referral but the pain is pretty much gone. It does come around a tiny bit if I am lying in a funny position, but now my spirometer performance is back up almost to full pre-surgery volume, and I am not worried about that. Also, the nurse and cardio said my lungs sound great.

Knock on wood: I also stopped having the chills, but I do recognize that my body has a difficult time regulating temperature in general...like my thermostat is slow to react to the ambient conditions. This is most notable when I'm in and out of the shower, or at night as my core temperature is cooled. The cardio also said this is normal because of being cooled so long on the heart-lung machine, and just the general stress of the surgery on my body, but I should alert him immediately if my temp begins to rise.

All in all, I am feeling SO much better, and I just need to keep a watchful eye on everything until I am in the clear. In any case, I'm glad I spoke to the doctor, which is what we should all do when in doubt just to ease our minds!

Latest posts

Back