I like the Coaguchek XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lance mentioned somewhere up this thread that ACT testing is in the stone age in Ontario in that monitors are viewed with suspicion. That may be changing. I know of two Ontario monitoring clinics using the Coaguchek XS. Sunnybrook hospital (where I had my AVR) and a clinic in Prince Edward County (where my sister-in-law is a nurse) both use it. I wouldn't know if there are others but I do know that my GP has expressed an interest to me in acquiring one for his clinic to better support his ACT patients.

Thanks, Catwoman. Bacterial Endocarditis sure makes a lot more sense than battery error.

The test range for the ProTime meters is 0.7 - 9.9, according to the company's website.

Lance mentioned somewhere up this thread that ACT testing is in the stone age in Ontario in that monitors are viewed with suspicion. That may be changing. I know of two Ontario monitoring clinics using the Coaguchek XS. Sunnybrook hospital (where I had my AVR) and a clinic in Prince Edward County (where my sister-in-law is a nurse) both use it. I wouldn't know if there are others but I do know that my GP has expressed an interest to me in acquiring one for his clinic to better support his ACT patients.

"Stone Age" very well said, my GP still isn't on board. It was my Cardio who gave me the prescription, but he doesn't look after my INR. (Totally a different thread)

In any case. if your GP is expressing an interest on acquiring a monitor, don't pass it up. It's the best independence you can have.

It's great that your GP is interested in acquiring a meter for his clinic. A few years ago, ProTime's manufacturers were offering meters to doctors for free, if they ran a certain number of tests each month - for a low volume clinic, it's probably better to buy a meter.

My preference, though, if you can afford it or if your medical plan will cover it, is to get your own meter. There's a feeling of empowerment that you get when you're able to test your own blood - even if the anticoagulant is managed by a clinician - that you don't have after driving to a clinic, waiting to get tested, and hoping the advice you get is correct.

I don't know how the Canadian medical system handles self-testing, but you may prefer to be able to take your life into your own hands to going to a clinic for testing. (If you were in the United States, you'll need a prescription to buy the meter and test supplies, in Canada it may be different.)

Since when have Canadians required a prescription for the strips? I've been buying mine over the counter for 6 years.

Glad to learn things are improving--finally.

Since when have Canadians required a prescription for the strips? I've been buying mine over the counter for 6 years.

Sandra, in 2007 when I started with the home monitor I needed an Rx for the monitor and strips, but I have never needed to show another Rx....the one on file at the pharmacy is an "open" or "on-going" prescription. Actually there are only about 5 of us who buy our strips there, so they know me by now. :)

Wow. Your pharmacy actually STOCKS the strips?

My pharmacies look at me like I have a horn growing out of my head when I ask about strips. (Actually, I DO have a horn growing out of my head, but I try to keep it covered).

Are there any testers out there (in the United States) whose pharmacies STOCK the strips?

Hi Bina
Back in the dark ages when I got my "S" the arrangements were made by the Toronto General Hospital and when it wore out Roche sent the "XS"' My "S" was still under warranty and they would have replaced it with another "S" free of charge. I knew the "XS" was superior so I paid for it.
My pharmacy has always stocked the strips Myself and spouse are the only users in this area unfortunately. There has always been a new box waiting for me.

Gail, you're very lucky to have an "XS" as your first monitor. They are a dream

Prescriptions

Prescriptions

Hi Bina
Back in the dark ages when I got my "S" the arrangements were made by the Toronto General Hospital and when it wore out Roche sent the "XS"' My "S" was still under warranty and they would have replaced it with another "S" free of charge. I knew the "XS" was superior so I paid for it.
My pharmacy has always stocked the strips Myself and spouse are the only users in this area unfortunately. There has always been a new box waiting for me.

Sorry--double post

Lance:

It's great that your pharmacy always has the strips waiting for you. I'm just curious, though, about how long an expiration date these strips have. Are they ordering a new supply when you pick up your strips, or do they wait a few months in anticipation of you running out?

My pharmacy realizes the importance of having strips available when needed. When I pick up my supply on a Friday they re-order and the replacement box arrives the following Tuesday along with everything else they have ordered.

The expiry date on a box I received last month=2011 - 12.

Lance:

It's great that your pharmacy always has the strips waiting for you. I'm just curious, though, about how long an expiration date these strips have. Are they ordering a new supply when you pick up your strips, or do they wait a few months in anticipation of you running out?

Y'all may notice that a few posts that were previously in this thread are no longer here. Someone mentioned this thread to me so I started reading it from the beginning. It seemed like a great constructive conversation. Then it went South. I simply time warped the thread back to the constructive point by deleting everything south of the point that it went south. So - If the conversation could now continue in a constructive manner that supports why this forum exists, that would be awesome!

Latest posts

Back