Howdy! Looking for Opinions on 2nd Opinions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that insight KenG. I can promise you when they say I'm ready, I will be a happy camper. In the meantime I am surgeon shopping. I want this over and behind me in the worst way. It is interfering with my vacation travel. I know poor pitiful me but we all have the things that keep us happy in this life and travel is mine. I don't like having to stay so close to home. Dr.'s recommended canceling my trip to St. Lucia in Sept. and that has added to my sadness.

Congratulations on having yours behind you and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rhena

Welcome, Rhena, from another (although accidental) Texan. I didn't seek a second opinion because I've managed to build a trust-group consisting of my DO (PCP) and my cardio, and my more-or-less accidental surgeon--all of whom have worked together to bring me to four months post-op feeling absolutely great.

There's something about a first-instinct connection that can be valued, so sometimes second opinions aren't necessary. I had already gone through a bypass op, but moved and had to change cardios. At one point I got stupid (off meds for a bit) and was rewarded with a great bayou-boy (Louisiana) cardio guy who's been with me ever since. My DO (another accident--found him right after I moved, because I was bit by a Brown Recluse spider and had to find a doctor fast) has a great PA, and she noticed what she thought might be a brouit but turned out to be a heart murmur that hadn't been noticed since I was 10. Aforementioned new cardio was consulted, and after following my gradually decreasing aortic valve function finally told me it was time. Then the surgeon he had picked out was on Easter holiday and I ended up with a different guy who turned out to be perfect for me. Some good planning, some fortunate accidents, but in the end a good result. A lot depends on the hospital, too, so that's another consideration.

Welcome aboard, and best of luck. Sometimes that's what it takes.

Aforementioned new cardio was consulted, and after following my gradually decreasing aortic valve function finally told me it was time. Then the surgeon he had picked out was on Easter holiday and I ended up with a different guy who turned out to be perfect for me. Some good planning, some fortunate accidents, but in the end a good result. .

Hi Big Owl - glad you made it to Texas being accidental or not. Your comment above couldn't help but remind me of something I read on a plaque recently. It said: "No amount of prior planning will ever replace dumb luck!”
There is some truth in that! Thanks for sharing your opinions

Rhena

Well Bryan, I don't know if it was my fat fingers that did something or what, as I started out attempting do a quote from your nice post and then went off and did something else and now I'm back to respond & your post is gone. Sorry!!!!:eek:

I had read it though and read it twice as I found it contained some good advice and I thought that you and I sounded similar in some ways, in that we research the heck out of things. I agree that getting a second opinion if nothing else could validate what the first surgeon told you and that gives you the confidence to know you are doing the right thing. But as you noted there is that potential sticky situation of a third opinion if number one and two differed widely.:eek:

I was also interested in hearing that you had done the Ross Procedure as that is on my short list. I'm so sorry though that you are back having to do deal with all this again because of the aortic root and ascending aorta issues(I really mut keep researching as I don't know what those terms means exactly. There is probably a sitcky somewhere that might describe it.) Anyway, how great that you are able to get a long distance second opinion from a surgeon well known for doing the RP. Good luck to you there!

I apologize again if I managed to somehow delete your post. It seems to me I must have done something as I was the only one in here monkeying with it.

Rhena

Latest posts

Back