How to test someone else?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Question for those of you who regularly run tests on another person (perhaps a spouse who is also on warfarin):

What's the best way to get a blood sample on another person?

I could have used this information this weekend in trying to test my mom, who's on warfarin following knee joint replacement.

Bina:

Ah, but when it's YOUR hand, you're in control the situation. More difficult on someone else, I've found.

Not unlike it's easier for me to test on my left hand, because I'm right-handed, than testing on my right hand. I have more dexterity testing on my left.

Right, we are used to tilting our finger to apply the drop to the strip.
Haven't others used some kind of little tube to collect the blood drop in and then tip it out onto the strip?

Then maybe I would try having the person sit beside me at a table, reach over and take their left hand, stick it, and guide it to the machine on the table.

Did that. But Mom wasn't too cooperative. Oh, well. My parents can trot down to their friendly doctor's office and let them jab her in the arm. :eek:

DH had to stick me when my arm was broken, the hardest part was telling him WHERE to place the lancing deveice; I find a bit up, or a bit to the left or whatever can make a big difference in the size of the drop. I could, though, place the drop in the strip, it was just that I couldn't hold the sticker and press the end with my right hand in a cast . . .

finger stick'n loved ones

finger stick'n loved ones

Catwomen:
I have probably stuck Albert more than 400 times in 8+ years. At first, he was jumpy and quite uncooperative. Frankly, I was afraid that I was going to do something wrong and wound him for life.

First, I did what Bina described. I also had him test me...just for fun. It was a mess, but he seemed to like that. Our sunny boy came over and the two of them were testing each other. Apparently Al had more confidence in son, Alex than me in the beginning. After a while, when we both got used to the procedure, he just took the tests in stiide.

I think that going over and over the tape that accompanied our ProTime monitor gave him some confidence. And, I would not test him if there were problems or if he was hiper and wound up about something...like the time the cat threw up on Albert's head.

If you keep cool and build confidence, it'll all work out just fine.

It'll get better...I promise.

Blanche

Blanche:

Thanks for the advice.
I was seated beside my mom. That may have been the problem. Perhaps if I had been seated across from her I would have had the vantage and would have been able to get the sample. It was a matter of getting her to put the blood drop(s) on the strip, instead of them trailing down her finger and hand. :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking too........that if you were to sit across from your mom may have been easier, making sure your machine was close to your mom but facing you.

Back