How puffy is puffy?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberry

I was dx with mild AI and a myxomatous mitral valve (no regurg) in December after having palps. I ignored the palps til my GI doctor coincidentally heard ectopic beats and sent me to the cardio. Anyway, I'll I got was you have this and that, take antibiotics before procedures and come back in a year. Anyway, lately I've noticed my ankles are "puffy." Some days they start off puffy, and then are better the next day. Somedays they're ok all day but mostly they get puffier during the day so that my shoes are too tight. I notice little "pools" above by ankles and my sandals leave deep impressions. If I put my legs up on the coffee table it also leaves a groove and pressing into them leaves a dent or sometimes just a fingerprint impression.

I'm not overweight, I'm 5'3 and 110 lbs. This happens regardless of whether it's 90 degrees outside or 70. Am I just paying too much attention to this? If they were severely swollen I'd go to the doc but I don't know if I'm blowing it out of proportion or not? Any thoughts? Thanks!

swelling

swelling

I had problems with swelling before and now after my valve replacement. I am on lasix which alleviates the problem. I guess I tend to retain fluid. Before the surgery, I think it was from the heart not working properly but now I am not sure what it is from. I would let the Dr. know what is going on because this is something they need to know. :eek:

I'm with the others

I'm with the others

on this one...Either your intake of water is way to high or your salt is to high or your heart is slightly weakend or a slight combination of the above. Oh ya some drugs themselves can cause this. My only? is do you pee ok?

Med

What Ross said.

Tell your cardiologist about it NOW.

Fluid retention is nothing to mess with and it's a sign of greater problems in your heart.

Try to go easy on how much you're drinking in a day and cut back some on your salt (sodium) intake. First step on that is to take the salt shaker off the table and just THROW IT OUT! =)

If you have it there, if not, good for you. Don't add salt to stuff when you cook.

There's all kinds of stuff in the Recipe section for you including advice on cutting back on the sodium.

Check with your doctors first though. Fluid retention is fairly common with heart conditions and can be easily treatable before having to go to the big OHS option.

My ankles used to get puffy like that as the day wore on. It wasn't noticable early in the day, but usually after dinner or later if I took my socks off it was there. And it wasn't always there either, some days I just didn't drink as much or I sweated out more (it was a hot summer) and the fluid retention wasn't as severe. if you have a good, accurate, scale, you might start watching your weight on a daily basis. Check it in the morning when you get up, after lunch, and before going to bed. Keep a log. If you're fluctuating 3-5 pounds or more in a day or two (or more often) you're retaining water.

The good thing is, if you've got a lot of water already "on board" the diuretics may (should) help you flush it out and you may actually lose some weight.

One thing to REALLY watch for is a "fullness" feeling. Almost like you're bloated (which you are) and that can be a real problem. Fluid retention comes in two forms, it's either in your extremeties (hands, legs, feet) or it's in your torso and head (face) depending on where in your heart the problem lies. It can some times be both.

I started out showing retention in my ankles, but then it started showing in my face, at times to the point that I looked like a frying pan and it felt like my face was swollen from a bee sting.

Bad stuff.

Diuretics are fairly easy to deal with and the most common side-effect may be muscle cramping because the extra trips to the bathroom can flush out important minerals your body needs. The simple fix to that is to eat more of foods that have those minerals. Potassium (in bananas, oranges and orange juice, and apricots) is the most common cuplrit for muscle cramps in legs and joints. If I feel a cramp coming on the easiest thing to do is just have a glass of orange juice or munch on a few dried apricots (I have a bag stashed away for "emergencies")

If it gets out of control, it can get really scary so it's best to get on top of it early. Since I've had surgery, I haven't had any real problems with fluid retnetion. I take 60mg of lasix twice a day plus another 20mg of spironolactone (again, twice a day) which is another diuretic that has a different "mechanism" to it and helps me retain some of the minerals I'd lose from just the lasix alone.

Thanks Harpoon! I did gain about 5 pounds really fast (within two weeks) before all this started becoming noticeable. I also get it in my abdomen. I really noticed it after I had hernia surgery a few weeks ago. My bp was (no joke) 60/39 and they pumped me full of fluids for three days to try and get it up. That's when I knew the puffiness in my stomach wasn't just fat cause it was the same jiggly feeling but magnified 20 times. It took me weeks to get all the fluid out they pumped into me.

I think I'll try and make an appointment for late in the day soon and have the doc take a look-see.

Latest posts

Back