How many would say that you're in the best shape of your life?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

I've read many stories of people who have made claims that they've been able to get in the best shape of their life after heart valve replacement. I assume because after a successful surgery, our heart finally is pumping and working the way it should be, which should mean it is more efficient.

I just completed my second OHS a couple weeks ago. I chose a Ross Procedure in 2012 for avoid blood thinners. In 2008-2011 I was the fastest I've ever been. My average 5k time was around 21 minutes. The year or so leading up to my first OHS, I started having symptoms and got slower and slower, dropping to around a 25-28 minute 5k. I had the Ross Procedure, and only was able to get back around the 24:30-25:30 for 5k times. However, cardio wasn't my main focus. I made immense gains in size and strength in the gym, but when I would jog or sprint I never felt like I got back to what I expected to.

So November 2014 I was told my Ross had officially failed me and I needed a re-op. I was having more regurgitation than the first time and an even larger aortic anuerysm. I chose mechanical this time to hopefully avoid future operations and also had my anuerysm repaired.

My recovery is going really good this time, and I am already able to sustain 70-80% max HR on an elliptical for 20-30 minutes. I have lost about 12 pounds of muscle from not being able to lift and having a weaker appetite, but I know I can get that back.

I am hoping that now that everything has been sufficiently fixed, I believe I should be able to return to my old run times and maybe even break my old records from years ago. I am curious how many here have set new personal records on fitness goals after OHS and can honestly say that you feel like you're in the best shape of your life.

Hi
I think your theory is about on the money. Speaking for myself I was doing well till I was about 6, competing well against other kids. Then my "murmur" was observed and investigations found it to be a bicuspid valve. (given that this was something like 1969 tools were primitive and I'm sure that some guess work was involved).

I had a surgery when I was about 10 and that was enough set back to put me behind others who were sporting. I had both physical and mental hurdles to overcome. By the time I was in my 20's I had become fitter but never had my cardiovascular and aerobic fitness "up to par". I looked to endurance things which were not so aerobic.

In my late 20's another op was needed (to replace the "repaired" valve) and in the following months I worked hard to get my physical fitness back. I'd say that by the time I was 4 years post surgery I was fitter than I'd ever been.

Again things went slowly south and when I was sure something was wrong with the valve (ski track times were showing it) I decided to drag my arse into a checkup (waited till we were back in Australia) and found "yes" the valve was leaking and "oh my what a lovely aneurysm you have".

After that surgery (2011) I applied the same approach as in my 20's 30's but it took a while (and there were obstacles). After a season of skiing in 2013 I felt my fitness was (based on times) up there with the "average" competitor in my age group. Which is about equal to the fittest I've ever been.

is that as fit as the top? No way in hell ... am I happy with it? you bet.

cewilk;n852283 said:
I am curious how many here have set new personal records on fitness goals after OHS and can honestly say that you feel like you're in the best shape of your life.
I was at my fittest before OHS, fitter than when I'd been younger, mostly becasue the previous eight years or so I had started to do serious weight training and lots of walking, something I didn't bother about before. So I had got really fit. I'm now a year on from OHS and have just about regained the level of fitness I had before surgery. People here probably fed up with seeing me writing that ! My theory is that if you were symptomless before surgery then it's going to be slow to get back to the level of fitness and stamina you had prior to surgery because of the strain that surgery has on your heart. If you had symptoms though, then of course the surgery makes a huge immediate difference and you should feel fitter pretty soon.

My theory is that if you were symptomless before surgery then it's going to be slow to get back to the level of fitness and stamina you had prior to surgery because of the strain that surgery has on your heart.

Yes, that is what I fear because on a day to day basis I have no noticeable symptoms. Right now my weight is as good as it has been in many years and I walk 5 to 6 miles a day. I wonder how long it will take to get back to that level of fitness post surgery? Probably a long time.

I feel that is true, Paleogirl. or at least it was for me. I mostly slept in the months leadng up to my surgey, as I had no stamina for much of anything. I would get up in the morning and go to my desk job, go to the sofa as soon as I got home, and pretty much stay there until I went to bed very early. I felt better immmediately after the surgery. the transformation was simply amazing. i was suddenly walking again, riding my bicycle, etc. I remember asking Dr. McGiffin if I could go swimming somewhere around 3 or 4 weeks after surgery. He laughed and told me to try it. i didn"t because it was too cold, but , the point is that I felt well enough to want to. And I did once the weather warmed up. I went on to do water aerobics and high intensity zumba.
I have been slowing down over the past 18 months and I have subsequently put on weight. My stamina has been declining but I expect that as that my valve is starting to fail. I still walk about 3 miles, up and down hills, about 3 days a week.

Hi Paleogirl

Paleogirl;n852298 said:
! My theory is that if you were symptomless before surgery then it's going to be slow to get back to the level of fitness and stamina you had prior to surgery because of the strain that surgery has on your heart. If you had symptoms though, then of course the surgery makes a huge immediate difference and you should feel fitter pretty soon.

I just wanted to clear up that I did not simply bounce back the day after surgery to my best times on the lake. My surgery was Nov 2011 and it was a bumpy post surgical ride. When I went to Finland in June 2013 I was not anywhere near my pre surgery fitness nor strength.

It was only with daily determination to slowly and gently train that I got to where I got.

Its not by any means a certainty, but when you get past the obstacles, if your resolve endures, then you can do it.

I know you had a rocky ride with some pleural issues post surgery, but never doubt that if you had not had surgery you would be a lot worse and declining now.

Hang in there

Hi

skeptic49;n852301 said:
Right now my weight is as good as it has been in many years and I walk 5 to 6 miles a day. I wonder how long it will take to get back to that level of fitness post surgery? Probably a long time.

If what you say is accurate about your existing health and you don't have any post surgical complications I would say that within 8 weeks you'll be walking as you were and within a year you will find that the restrictor has been taken off your carbie

pellicle;n852308 said:
Hi

If what you say is accurate about your existing health and you don't have any post surgical complications I would say that within 8 weeks you'll be walking as you were and within a year you will find that the restrictor has been taken off your carbie
I assume that is a reference to a carburetor? That's one of the things I'm worried about as I am currently symptom free , how quick will I bounce back? At this point however ( 5 days from surgery, tic toc ,tic toc ) I'll just be happy to get to the point of full recovery....

cewilk;n852283 said:
I am curious how many here have set new personal records on fitness goals after OHS and can honestly say that you feel like you're in the best shape of your life.

Since I'm pretty sure I would not be here, had I not had the surgery, I can truthfully say I am in the best shape of my life.....LOL. Physically the surgery has had little impact on how I've lived my life or my lifestyle over the years....age, not the valve, has slowed me down some but I still work out a few times a week, play golf(weather permitting) and do, pretty much, all that I prefer to do. OHS, for most, is only a bump in the road.......unless you choose to allow it to affect your life.

Hi
cldlhd;n852325 said:
I assume that is a reference to a carburetor?

yep ... old trick of import power restrictions was to slot in a 'restrictor' .... when pulled out it went like it should a done.

At this point however ( 5 days from surgery, tic toc ,tic toc ) I'll just be happy to get to the point of full recovery....

weekend huh ... well I'll be thinking of ya on the weekend while I change the drive belt on my T-Max.

email me your hospital number (or your number) and I'll "pay you a visit" while you're in.

That's one of the things I'm worried about as I am currently symptom free , how quick will I bounce back?

given you're mainly doing it for the bit A (aneurysm) I'll say you probably won't notice too much difference. Just (as dick mentioned) a much lower chance of a sharp pain and a change of scenery to the after life...

;-)

pellicle;n852341 said:
Hi

yep ... old trick of import power restrictions was to slot in a 'restrictor' .... when pulled out it went like it should a done.

weekend huh ... well I'll be thinking of ya on the weekend while I change the drive belt on my T-Max.

email me your hospital number (or your number) and I'll "pay you a visit" while you're in.

given you're mainly doing it for the bit A (aneurysm) I'll say you probably won't notice too much difference. Just (as dick mentioned) a much lower chance of a sharp pain and a change of scenery to the after life...

;-)

Ha, ya I'm in no hurry for the afterlife, especially as I'm not so sure which side of the ledger I'm on.
Sounds good, I'll email you.

My biggest problem is knowing my limits. I get worried everything I'm doing is overdoing it. I finally got to the point (yes today) that I'm going to work slow and steady. Since surgery in July I have been on and off with my running and biking. I know I'll get there, but I just need to work on not giving up.

Good to hear all the replies. I am really happy with my progress so far. I'm about 2.5 weeks out since surgery and I completed 3.5 miles on the treadmill (2.25 miles w/ moderate incline at 3.5 mph, and 1.25 miles no incline 4mph "shuffle") total duration was around 1 hour. HR maxed at around 178 bpm which is about 80-85% of my max HR. Mildly winded but getting good full inhalation and no chest discomfort. Feeling a bit sore and achy now though. On my first OHS I wasn't able to to begin any light jogging until about 5-6 weeks out. Hoping things continue to move forward with positive progression.

Cewilk ... are you using anything like a vivofit or something to track your progress in a quantitative way? I've recently bought a vivofit, and wish such things were around when I started my recovery in 2011.

also, at a later date if you do have anything like a vivofit that I would be *very* interested to get some data from you such as dose, INR and KCal for my research.

Best Wishes

Yes, I am in the best shape of my life, in part because of increased motivation to at least not give my heart and health even more liabilities. Of course, my couch potato youth set the bar pretty low which helps today's fitness look good in comparison. Age is also a factor. With my children more self-sufficient, it is far easier to work out. Many of my forty-something girlfriends are now in the best shape of their lives for this reason. Emerging from the all-consuming Mommy Tunnel so to speak and devoting energy to our own health.

Cooker - Maybe not the best, but you ARE still here among us!

I think that now, at almost 4 years post-op, I'm generally in better shape than I was in the 3 or 4 years pre-op. It took me a while to get here - had some annoying complications in recovery from the valve surgery (can you say "pacemaker?"). But. . . I am still in great shape for an older duffer (now 67), to the point that at the gym nobody can believe that I'm as old as I am. I can't run any more (knees won't tolerate it - run today, crawl tomorrow), but I'm still very active on treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical and even light free weights. It is all what you choose to make of it. You CAN be in better shape than before, but as one colleague of mine put it, youkindagottawanna. Your body will do more than before, if you follow a program to take advantage of it.

I'm trying to make 70 (which is coming soon for me) into the "new 50."

Hi
epstns;n852402 said:
You CAN be in better shape than before, but as one colleague of mine put it, youkindagottawanna. Your body will do more than before, if you follow a program to take advantage of it.

without knowing diddleySquat about Cookers case I'll toss in that someone here at my office had CHF and there was some residual damage and some remnant arterial congestion remaining which precludes her from doing any exersize ... so its really never going to be for her that she can ever get back to what she was in her 30's

but for those of us who started with a reasonable base level of health we can indeed push up to higher levels. Probably to almost what our potentials could have been.

Personally I'm just happy that I can. (*although if I could donate my health to some worthy human who needed it I'd just as soon as piss off, but as I appear to be stuck here I'll make the best of the hand I've been dealt)

pellicle;n852410 said:
Hi
but for those of us who started with a reasonable base level of health we can indeed push up to higher levels. Probably to almost what our potentials could have been.

Personally I'm just happy that I can. (*although if I could donate my health to some worthy human who needed it I'd just as soon as piss off, but as I appear to be stuck here I'll make the best of the hand I've been dealt)

pellicle, I understand fully, my friend - but we ARE glad to have you here among us. You have a lot to contribute here.

I also thank you for qualifying my response. My comments could have been taken to mean that everybody can recover to a higher level than they started from, but it is unfortunately true that some of us don't have that option. My mother had CHF (among other conditions) and I saw what it did to her. With proper (and aggressive) treatment, it was somewhat controlled, but it did impose limits on her activity.

That said, I did not mean to glibly say that all of us will rise to new heights. Some of us are not so lucky. And, it was early in the morning. . .

Back