How long after symptom onset did you have surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much for the info everyone, it has been really helpful!
It‘s reassuring to know that waiting for the surgery doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll suffer cardiac death in the mean time, but I guess we won’t be hearing from those that did experience this. I’m pleased that you were all okay though and didn’t suffer any permanent damage, hopefully!

I’m also supposed to be going on holiday next week for 2 weeks which is the main cause of my anxiety currently. My cardiologist doesn’t seem overly concerned but the GP advised against it so I’m not really sure what to do yet!

Welcome, @Zara0006 ! As you can tell by my profile name, another Brit here :) (Anyone from London, Ontario: shhhh!)

I had shortness of breath suddenly start in late 2013, at the age of 48. It was almost like someone flicked a switch as I was walking down the street: one minute I was walking fine, the next I was gasping for air. Rest a few minutes, and then I could walk another 200 yards before the next flick of the switch.

I was living in north London at the time and had a series of tests, stretched out over several months. The definitive test seemed to be an ultrasound, carried out at the maternity unit of my local hospital! The technician briefly told me the results at the end of the scan. However, a couple of months later I still hadn't heard anything back officially, and ironically earlier this day I had posted a letter to the hospital pushing for results of the ultrasound and next steps; then I had what I assumed was a heart attack whilst sitting quietly at home, not exerting or anything. So I dialled 999 for an ambulance.

A paramedic arrived by motorbike to start diagnosis, and said I had NOT had a heart attack. In fact later it was described as a "cardiac event" as no damage had been caused to the heart. I'm sad to say it, but I think calling 999 was the thing that saved my life - no more waiting for diagnostic test results, all the necessary tests were done whilst in A & E, and I was transferred to the London Heart Hospital (which has since closed) for surgery a few days later. When they wanted to do an MRI scan they re-opened a unit within the building that had been taken out of commission, as I was considered too high a risk to be moved to another hospital for a scan there.

Note, however, that it was my aortic valve that was blocked, so not sure how much difference that makes. Also, the surgeon speculated that the cause was having been an insulin dependent diabetic for 20+ years, on a cholesterol tablet - this combination is now thought to cause stenosis.

Not sure if any of that helps. Happy to chat more if wanted. Best wishes for your op.
Thank you so much, really helpful and so glad you managed to get it replaced in time!

opposed to the US where insurance is essential for treatment.
Probably best not to compare the two systems (or the Australian one making that three... any Canadian members welcome to chip in).

In Australia the primary difference between having health insurance and not is the ability to make choices vs only being a passenger of the public system

In our system it's entirely a free choice of company and employers have little to do with the matter. I'd be surprised if your system was remarkably different to ours in that reguard.

If you aren't getting seen to (and probably best to wait for that CT scan result) I would pay out of pocket to see a private cardiologist (if the results warrant it). Money's not worth much when your dead.

Best Wishes

The NHS is one of the best public health services in the world generally, but I have considered getting private treatment. The NHS cardiothoracic surgeon I believe I’ll be seeing is one of the top few in the country, so I’d probably still go with him if I paid for it privately as he does mostly private work. The only difference is the waiting times, but like you said, hopefully they should know more from the CT results.

I’m also supposed to be going on holiday next week for 2 weeks which is the main cause of my anxiety currently. My cardiologist doesn’t seem overly concerned but the GP advised against it so I’m not really sure what to do yet!
Would imagine this may depend on where you wanted to go to. Just as a precaution, staying in places near major hospitals would be prudent for now.

Latest posts

Back