How Big is Yours??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is also 33mm. I think that is the biggest St Jude makes. I asked the surgeon after my replacement what would he have done if the opening would have been bigger than the 33mm after he removed the non working mitral. He said they would have used patching material to fill any gaps. At least that is what I thought he said. I do recall he said it was a BIG area that needed closed....Gary

OK, you made me look. From what I can tell on the web, I got a 25mm St. Judes Regent. It seems to be working pretty well so far.

I think at one time I heard that 34 was the biggest they made, but don't quote me.

Cooker - we mitral valvers are over-achievers. Tougher surgery - bigger valves- more chance of clots - sexier (well, that goes without saying I guess!)

Karlynn said:
I think at one time I heard that 34 was the biggest they made, but don't quote me.

Cooker - we mitral valvers are over-achievers. Tougher surgery - bigger valves- more chance of clots - sexier (well, that goes without saying I guess!)

Not so fast there missy......I haven't seen your valve in a bathing suit yet:cool: :p :cool:

Large Size AVR

Large Size AVR

My AV is a 29mm Medtronic Mosaic however as there were no 29mm AV available the surgeon used a 29mm mitral valve as they come in larger sizes. As it was explained to me all porcine tissue valves, AV and MV are made from porcine AV valves it is only the sewing cuff that is slightly different that differentiates the two. He indicated that he does this routinely if he finds extra large sizes are needed. My replacement AV is working perfectly as confirmed both by both the surgeon and cardiologist. :)

Mitral vs. Aortic Sizes: Apples and Oranges

Mitral vs. Aortic Sizes: Apples and Oranges

JEFFP made a salient point that apparently bears repeating:

Mitral valves are larger than Aortic valves. They're apples and oranges.

A common AORTIC valve replacement for women is 21mm, for men, 25mm, with a lot of crossover ar 23mm. Old Man Emu's 29mm aortic replacement valve is very large.

The most common MITRAL valve size is 29mm, for both sexes.

Mitral replacement is a bit more difficult thant aortic replacement, and has a higher rate of postoperational arrhythmias (such as chronic atrial fibrillation - afib), due to where the cuts need to be made. However, mitral surgery is far more likely to end in a repair than aortic surgery, and when repaired, the repair is much more likely to be successful for the long term, often for a lifetime.

Best wishes,

I have a 25mm StJudes Aortic-valve with the attatched sleeve/Dacron Aorta...I looked up the model # on StJudes website...I also got a plastic card to carry with me.

23 in the aortic position. Seems to be a very popular size!

Yeh, you definitely did make me look! I thought you were going to talk about scars! :p

Cooker, am I going to have to call you the "I" word again?? :D :D ;)

Marguerite

My St. Jude mitral valve is 35mm -- about the size of the top from a canister for 35mm film. I had minimally invasive surgery (right thorachotomy) and I wish I could have seen how the surgeon got that big thing inside me through that small opening in my side!

Latest posts

Back