Hi from Australia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy and Welcome.

Happy you have joined us but sorry for the reason.

I had my second OHS in February and my cardio permitted me to drive at barely 3 weeks. My first surgery, same surgeon, same cardio, same hospital, it was a full 9 weeks before I was permitted to drive so my point is that is really varies.

Both surgeries, I was fine to be on my own just about the first days home. My DH had arranged for a friend/caregiver to be with me the first week when he had to be in his office but I really didn't need the help. I was able to shower, shampoo, dress and make myself a sandwich etc just about from when I first came home (and I'm older than you! :) )

You will have good days and some not so good ones in the beginning but carefully follow doctors orders and you will do fine. This surgery is very do-able and survivable not to say we don't all get a very bad case of the jitters in anticipation. Many of us agree the wait is about the worst part of this whole process. Unless you have severe complications (and no reason to expect a healthy young guy like you will), you will be amazed how you probably will be up and on your feet and feeling better than you expected very soon.

You certainly should be able to leave your parents' home for your own after a month barring some very unexpected 'bump in the road' of your healing.

Best wishes to you and by all means, ask all your questions. There is always someone here ready to help in any way possible.

This wonderful site helped me get through my second surgery and I am grateful to everyone here for that. The most caring, wise, informed, sharing group I've found on the www.

Hi Deb, Yolanda, Ottawagal and Justin and thanks for the welcome.

I am glad I joined as it's good just to talk about these things. I've also realised that my experiences have not been nearly as hard as those that some of you have faced. Justin: it's great to hear you are getting better; I recall reading your posts a few weeks back, and given our similar circumstances, perhaps its not surprising that I seem to have plagiarised you! You're right about the coping mechanism. When the doctor told me he seemed rather flustered (he'd been trying to reach me on the phone for hours, which didn't help) while I probably gave the impression of being calm and accepting, while thinking 'is this actually happening to me'? I think I woke from that dream when I had to start telling people.

Andy.

Hi Jkm7

I'm starting to see that there shouldn't be any real problems living alone after four weeks (hopefully I'll avoid any major 'bumps' in the recovery road!). It's clear that everyone's recovery process is different, as your experiences show.

Thanks again for the advice,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

I had a mitral Valve Replacement February 2008 at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

It's nearly been a year and I sort of know a bit how you are feeling at the moment. Although, everyone is different in how they approach OHS.

You're probably going through the most difficult stage, which is the 'fear of the unknown'. Try not to stress, there really is no point! (I know, that's easy for me to say).

I hear great things about St Vincents Hospital, Sydney.

I personally took one day at a time and eventually things got back to normal. Oh, and be nice to the ICU nurses because they're gems and they'll take good care of you.

Take care.

Mimi

Hey Mimi!

Hey Mimi!

Hey Mimi,

Who did your valve replacement at Royal Melb? Chris had his surgery performed at the Epworth but his surgeon, Peter Skillington, is based at Royal Melb.
Great to 'meet' another Melbournite! Are you local? We live in Lysterfield....approx 30 mins from the city.

Cheers,
Yolanda

Hi Mimi

Good to hear from another Aussie. It sounds like you are doing well after your operation? The fear of the unknown doesn't seem so bad this time round, but I'll be really glad when the operation is over. I'll try and remember your advice about being nice to nurses!

Andy

Hi Yolanda,

My OHS was performed by Mr Peter Skillington at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. I work part time for the Department of Primary Industry in West Melbourne, however I live at Geelong. Head office is located at Knoxfield, so it's sort of near Lysterfield.

Thanks for the email.

Kind regards,

Mimi

Hi again Andy. I've just been having a look at the "Activity Guidelines" I was given and they suggest that you should wait about 4-5 weeks before driving (short trips with power steering), however you could probably get back on your bike (literally!) after about 2-3 weeks at home, depending of course on how you're feeling. After 5 weeks at home they suggest most activities can be carefully be resumed again... but slowly, slowly.

Meanwhile, when it comes to them removing all the tubes and stuff, they will probably tell you when that will happen and ensure you've had pain meds to help dull the sensation. It's hardly pleasant... but it's not the worst thing in the world.... and honestly, once the drainage tubes were out I certainly felt much more comfortable (but then I had one at a really awkward angle).

Anyway, if you've got any other questions, feel free to PM or email me.

A : )

Hi Abbanabba

I've been keeping up with your posts about pillows and getting-out-of-bed contraptions with great interest and will send my dad orders to make one for me. To be honest, I'm amazed you can sleep on your side so early. Occasionally I try to practice sleeping on my back but I'm hopeless and always return to a foetal position after about ten minutes. No doubt the ICU experience will sort me out!

I think my going home booklet (I got one during the pre-op) says no driving for six weeks. My car's power steering is quite heavy (that's the French for you), so I might actually follow instructions for once. The (road) bike's handling, on the other hand, can be 'interesting' at times, particularly in the wet and in gravel. I'd probably also get a puncture before I'm strong enough to change a tire and crack up completely.

Keep up the blog, and thanks for the ongoing offer to help; you and the others who have posted so soon after the operation are an inspiration.

Andy

Latest posts

Back