Help! Need an answer.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star007

Hi there,

I don't know in which forum to post this question. It is valve related but not in regards to what type of valve to choose etc. I have dextrocardia, situs inversus and have had 4 OHS since the age of 2 days old. I currently have an LV to PA conduit with a tissue valve. (My previous conduit lasted 10 years, after which I required a replacement due to growth from childhood to adulthood.) I was told this current conduit would last 12 to 15 years, however, it has surpassed all expectations, as my 18th anniversary is coming up in a few months. Is there anyone out there who has a conduit with a valve? If so, how long has it lasted? Do you know anyone with a valved conduit that has lasted 20 years or more??

I read a post written by a lady who mentioned she knew someone who had a valved conduit that lasted from the age of 18 to 40 (possibly longer; I am not sure). I can't remember where I saw this post and would appreciate any answer as to how long a conduit will last before requiring re-operation.

Thanks for any and all help

Hi

I saw your earlier post and didn't answer as I don't know anything about the topic.

I'm just replying here to wish you well and to say to not worry about it too much. If the surgeons don't know then that's e best answer you are going to get.

Back when I had a homograft valve put in (1992) I was never given a better answer than "we don't know). Over time I found for me the answer was 20 years. I might have had 22 but then something else (an aneurysm) drove the subsequent surgery.

So what I'm saying is there are no certain answers, only probabilities. Even good probabilities come undone.

Just walk the path and accept that its out of your hands

Best Wishes

I have a mechanical valve conduit, so not really the same (St Jude). I was told it will outlast me, and I am 42! Interesting though - seems like very few people have St Jude conduit. Most have On -x. My surgeon preferred St Jude because it was proven (actually, we never even discussed the choice at length. He just said that is what he intends to use - maybe because I needed a conduit).

Latest posts

Back