HELP..Mitral Valve Replacement on Monday?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mypal

I'm in my early 70's and there is a chance I will need to have immediate mitral valve replacement following a test on Monday. I'm trying to decide between (On-X and St.Jude) valves and feel it will help to hear personal experiences. Some of my concerns are recovery time, rehab, medications and "ticking". Reading all this information is very overwhelming and I'd be grateful for any replies. Thank you.

Hi and welcome. I have a Carbomedics mitral valve, which I was told recently by someone on the boards is in between a St. Judes and an OnX. From what I have been reading here recently, OnX is the newest and also has some kind of material that is supposed to help reduce the risk of clots. (anyone, correct me if I am not explaining this correctly) When I received my valve, I was not informed enough about making a choice and my surgeon chose. I'm glad I received the Carbomedics as I am very active and it is working well for me, but if I had to choose today would probably choose the OnX. I can hear the ticking but not all the time, but I know you can with the others as well. I wouldn't have believed it in the beginning, but you do get used to it; it doesn't bother me. I don't believe the type of valve affects recovery time and it seems that we all recover at different paces, regardless of valve type. And of course, with a mechanical valve, you will have to be on coumadin/warfarin, which is nothing to be afraid of, if you do in fact have to have the replacement. I am sure there will be others along shortly to give their advice as well. Good luck on Monday.

I have St. Jude mechanical valve and I do not hear the ticking unless I make an effort and position my neck in a certain way! And when I hear it, surprisingly, I enjoy it :)

Your cardio and/or surgeon would best recommend valve for you as they know more about you and about your life style than we do. I was given the choice between mechanical and tissue valve since I was close to 60 years, but I chose mechanical as I do have an active lifestyle and do not wish to be reopened in 15 or 20 years again.

Good luck with your choice.

I'm wondering why at 70 years, you are not considering a tissue valve? They are now projected to be good for 15-20 years. It is thought the older the patient, the longer the hoped for life of the valve. They haven't been using these treated valves for long enough to know for sure but most surgeons are talking about a good number of years.

A tissue valve eliminates the need for permanent coumadin dosing in most cases. Many surgeons order a brief course for about 3 months post op.

I had a bovine mitral valve implanted a little over a year ago at Mass General Hospital and am so very happy that is the valve I chose.

That was my second OHS in four years and I recovered well and with no complications. Most of us do. I was able to walk stairs immediately upon coming home; took daily walks outside from day two home; was able to shower/dress myself from immediately home and do light cooking for DH and me or warmed what others had provided for us. The biggest restriction you must adhere to is no lifting of anything more than ten pounds for 6-8 weeks to provide for the best possible healing of your sternum.

My first OHS was emergent so no time for stress and anxiety. While it is shocking to have it thrust at you with little to no warning, it is easier in many respects than the wait for upcoming surgery. My second time I waited about 7 weeks and it was very stressful....as most of us agree.

Whichever valve you choose (if, indeed, you must go ahead with surgery), I wish you all the best and are happy you found us but sorry for the reason.

I am Very Impressed by the technological improvements* incorporated in the On-X Valves. Have you reviewed their websites www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com ?

OTOH, at age 70+, the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve could also be a very good option for YOU. They have a track record of lasting 20 years with 90% "freedom from explant" when implanted in patients over age 60 (or is it 65?) and with new anti-calcificaiton coatings they are hoping to extend that a few more years. The Big Plus would be that you would not need to take anticoagulation medication (Coumadin / Warfarin) UNLESS you develop Atrial Fibrilation which becomes more likely with age.

IMO, either choice would be a Good Choice. It comes down to personal preference and what you feel you can live with the best.

* I have written extensively on the technological improvements incorporated in the On-X valves in previous posts on the Valve Selection Forum as have a few others who have studied and/or received On-X valves. See Threads entitled "St Jude" and "ATS vs On-X or St Judes" among others.

'AL Capshaw'

My thinking is the OnX, you only need a INR of 2.0-2.5. I understand it also opens a full 90 degrees. Im also 70.My Mitral per TEE is Moderate-Severe. Thats the one I would choose.

Does your surgeon use the On-X? I ask, because some members have found that they have to request it before surgery. If you don't know until Monday that you will definitely undergo surgery, it might be too late to request it.

What test are they running that will determine if the replacement takes place at that time? Please keep us updated as to what you learn.:)

Welcome to VR. Glad you found us. I can't help you with the valve choice, as I had a repair, but just wanted to welcome you. Best wishes and good luck.

I have had a St. Jude in the mitral position for 15 years and it is still going strong. I do not hear my valve but others do occasionally. You might want to check out their website as well as the others linked on this thread so you have all the information. http://www.sjm.com Just click on the products link and then on the one for mechanical valves.

Wishing you all the best.

Thank You

Thank You

To answer some of the questions, a repair has been ruled out and I am having an Angiogram on Monday. Based on what I've been reading, I'm starting to lean toward a tissue valve instead and still have more research to do. So,thank you all for your support and taking the time to post a reply. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, many thanks.

My first reaction is...Why a mechanical valve for a 70+ year old ? I have had a mechanical valve a long time and it has served me well. However, if my valve had to be replaced now (I am 73), I would seriously consider a tissue valve. A tissue valve in an older patient should last a lifetime and may not require Coumadin/Warfarin. While I have had few problems with warfarin, I think my problems with the drug will increase as I get older.....at least that seems to be the situation that some of my older friends have experienced.

Our needs and situations are all unique and I am sure that you and your cardio and surgeon have discussed the pros and cons of the valve types.

Fortunately, the valve was in better condition than expected and surgery will not be needed at this time. Again, thank you all for the great information and support.

Good news and thank you for coming back here to share it with us.
Surely your doctors will be keeping an eye on it so hope you will drop in here from time to time. Hope we can help with any questions your doctors didn't address.

Hi
I had the st jude's valve, it recoved very fast and yes there is ticking, my husband hears it all the time, at lease as long as I am ticking i am alive. You will get used to it. It has been three years. I am now 52
Sanmore

I have the St. Jude's valve and hear it all the time, but after a while I got used to it. My three boy's call it daddy's clock in his heart. I hear most people can't hear theirs. Good luck!

Back