Heart Rate Monitor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponytaila1a

I had one of the old band around your chest and read-out on your wrist type monitors. It no longer works. What is a good brand name monitor to wear while working out. I do not run, but like to monitor my pulse rate while walking and resistant work outs.

Hey Jennifer, I bought the Garmin Forerunner 305. I'm a hiker, runner and walker. This unit has GPS and still uses the chest strap. I've not read many positive reviews of the units without the chest strap. My unit is probably overkill, but I'm anal about knowing what's going on and improving previous run/walk/hike results. Plus I can see all my routes in Google Earth. I bought it through Amazon.com for about 1/2 the price of REI.

There are lots of less expensive monitors, but from my reading I would stick with the chest strap models.

Cheers

I had one of the old band around your chest and read-out on your wrist type monitors. It no longer works. What is a good brand name monitor to wear while working out. I do not run, but like to monitor my pulse rate while walking and resistant work outs.

what brand and how old?? i got my timex hrm in march. worked great, but
the sensor ran through batteries every other week. fortunately, that model
is user servicable, and the batteries here run 75 cents.

contacted timex as was still under warranty. they got me the address for
the shanghai office, sent in the sensor, they had a new one to me in under
a week.

Monitors

Monitors

I've got two different versions of the Polar 200 Series. My CS 200 is designed for cycling and my RS 200 is designed for walking and running. Both work very well. The chest transmitter straps communicate with most of the health club cardio equipment I've encountered.

We use Polar monitors in our high school exercise physiology class. The units perform well.

-Philip

I also have a Garmin 305 and use it all the time. Lots of information stored and can be downloaded to your computer for more in depth analysis.

I have a Polar F11 with a flexible strap that can be put into the washing machine on a gentle cycle.

Before you through your old one away, have you checked either with the company or with a watch repair place to see if they can change the battery? I had the battery of both the watch and the transmitter changed by Polar the first time (it was under the warranty) and a few months ago a watch place replaced the battery of the watch.

I have the Garmin Forerunner 50 from Amazon UK, cost about 30 pounds. In cardiac rehab we all used the Polar F4 which showes your HR and not much else, they cost 40 pounds.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am to begin cardiac rehab in less than two weeks.....I only was thinking of using the monitor when I walk on my own. Completely forgot about the monitoring at rehab. Thanks again.

I have been using the Timex Ironman monitor, with the chest strap. I wear it in rehab, because while they monitor me, I would have no way to know my pulse, because all that info comes up on their screen.

By the way, the Timex is very accurate. It reads exactly what the EKG type pads do there at the hospital.

I don't know how long the batteries will last, but it has been great so far, in the last month I have been wearing it. I will wear it to work, when I go back.

I've got the Timex Ironman with the 100-lap memory. Works well except when I'm running or biking under high voltage power lines.
Mark

I have been really happy with the Nike Triax. Easy to read, seems to capture each beat really quickly after I strap it on and doesn't chafe under a bike jersey. I got it from Amazon.com after I read a bunch of reviews of monitors in the $100 price range. Happy trails.

Latest posts

Back