heart meds poll

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

ericaj

I was just wondering if I could get everyone's opinion on anti-arrythmic and anti-tachycardiac meds?

If it where up to you which med would you choose:

Beta Blockers
Calcium Channel Blockers
The Anti-Arrhyhtmics
Any other choices?

I am on a beta blocker- lopressor. It works well for me. Only takes a low dose 25mg, to keep my pulse down and my BP < 110 systolic.
Kathy H

I would prefer to take only an anti-arrhythmic since. of the three, it makes me feel less tired. At one time I was on all three at the same time and I felt totally drugged. I hated it.

I was on amiodarone (half the regular "maintenance" dose) which is potent stuff and can REALLY screw you up if not kept in check through regular bloodwork, x-rays, and breathing tests.

Got off it within a year of being on it and I seem to be doing OK.

My digoxin is, in part, an anti-arhythmic, though it acts mostly to support better heart efficiency.

I'm still on baby doses (25mg) of Atenolol, which is a beta blocker. It doesn't seem to affect me either way. I wonder if it really does anything at all. They were adamant (regular cardio and electrophysiologist) about not taking me off of it, though.

I have chronic atrial fib. I take Toprol XL 100mg twice a day along with Digoxin 0.125mg twice a day. I think for myself, the Digoxin makes me feel the best, especially since we went to twice a day. It my heart rate drops below 55, then I am supposed to hold the dig, but still take the toprol.

I'm on 100 mg Atenolol in the morning and another 100 mg in the late afternoon and .25 mg Digoxin. It's a wonder I'm even awa...(zzzzzzzzzz)

Well, that is a difficult one! I was on beta blockers (toprol) which weren't apparently strong enough to stop the A-fib. Then onto the anti-arrythmic (sp?) Rythmol, which worked, but I had terrible side effects from it....changed to Beta - pace which worked for one year, then upped the dosage, and I think I am now beginning to have side effects from it....so, what do I prefer? yikes!

I think everyone is so different, that you and your doc have to find what works best for you with the fewest side effects possible. But having said that, if you can stay away from the anti-arythmics, you are probably better off as I think all of them are somewhat toxic.

Good luck

Since I will be getting an ablation, I just stopped the evil Amiodarone, and am now only taking Metoprolol {25mg} twice a day.

~Ray

Erica,

What kind of arrhythmia problems do you have?
What meds does your cardiologist have you on now?

I was able to control my (rare) a-fib and PAC's / PVC's for a couple of years on a low dose of Toprol XL (25 mg) which I tolerated quite well. Then I needed to up my dose and now I'm on a low dose of Sotalol (generic form of Beta Pace) to keep my exercise (and age :( ) induced a-fib in check. It took a couple of months to 'adjust' to the side effects (headache, dizzyness, occasional PAC's, etc.)

Sotalol definitely has more / stronger side effects than Toprol! Unfortunately, as arrhythmias become more prevalent, stronger meds are needed and that goes hand in hand with stronger side effects. Bummer.

I hope your cardiologist (and / or Electrophysiologist) gets your arrhythmias under control.

Best wishes,

'AL'

My two cents on this subject, mine is digetek 0.125 once a day. That is what my heart med is.

I am on 320 Milligram of Beta Pace (Sotol). This is the maximum dosage and requires a pacemaker. It is my alternative to amiodarone. I hope to avoid that medication at all costs. I also take Digoxin and various other medications to control BP, etc. 9 medications are a PAIN!

AlCapshaw

AlCapshaw

Hi Al,

Sorry for the delay in responding .. My Cardio has me on Nadolol 80mgs and then the aweful Florinef .1mgs. I have SVT and A-Fib - although I am still unsure on how to tell when it is is A-Fib or something else gonig on. It has been particularly bad the last week and a half .. My Cardio upped the Nadolol
which has helped some - but still bothersome.

Erica

erica

erica

I am on 120 mg cardizem, which I believe is a calicum channel blocker,and 25 mg of atenolol which my gp tried to up to 50, and is a beta blocker, but then the cardio guy says that he is going to replace it will two doses of the cardizem. I don't really have too much of an idea if either is working.

Im on so much medicine its hard to keep it all straight. I do know that every time my cardiologist thinks my heart is doing better and he takes me off some cardiac meds, I go into CHF and Im put back on them again. He told me last time I was in the hospital for CHF that I will be on these drugs for the rest of my life. Heres a list...

Digoxin, Coreg, Alltace, Potassium, Demedex, Coumadin, Lopid, 81mg aspirin, and I take Prevacid, Reglan,and Effexor.

Best of luck to you..
Alicia

:eek:

Latest posts

Back