Heart Disease and H1N1

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nupur

I keep reading that people with existing health conditions such as "heart disease" are more at risk of complications from H1N1. All the people who have died from the H1N1 apparently had "underlying health issues" that made it worse for them.Are we valvers, ones in the waiting room, as well as ones who've had valve surgery, more at risk than the general population? Now they are saying that H1N1 attacks lung tissue very quickly. Does this pose extra threat to people with valves that are leaky or stenotic?

I have been pondering this because I have been feeling slightly dizzy for the last couple of days, with some body ache and feeling of nausea. Very low grade fever 99. Could be just a regular cold.

Appreciate all your thoughts on this.

If you have had a low-grade fever for a couple of days without actually feeling that you have a cold, I think you should have cultures done to make sure it is not endocarditis. I don't mean to alarm you, but I wish I had gone sooner to the ER when I had mine. I was told afterwards that if I ever have a fever with no known reason (like a cold or the flu) to get it checked out immediately (after a day or two).

Thank you, Adrienne. I was thinking about that. Nobody else in the family is sick. I will wait until Monday and go in.

Yes, I think everyone on this forum should be first in line to get the H1N1 vaccine when they become available. We definitely brought it up when Brian came in to the ER because he went to visit his friend at USC last weekend and I guess they had an outbreak there. I know any cold or anything hits Brian especially hard.

Hi Nupur,

As others have said "When in doubt, check it out". I can relate to your worry. My MIL just broke her hip last evening and I spent 5 hours in emergency with many around me coughing etc. One of my concerns was ending up with a virus/H1N1 and having my surgery date re-booked (or worse ending up with complications!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Always a good idea to get our fears alleviated.

We were out to dinner tonight with our good friends. He is an Infectious Disease doc and I asked if he thought I should be sure to get H1N1 vaccine and he said absolutely.

DH and I already got our seasonal flu shots and I will take his advice for swine flu protection.

I did ask my doctor about all of this on Tuesday, he told me no I did not have heart damage and I was not considered high risk due to my valve replacement (for the flu) He also said go get my regular flu shot asap, and get the H1N1 when it comes out but he said please try not to get the H1N1! (like I want it) And I could take the tamiflu! I dont want any problems with my lungs at all I don't care what anyone says! I have been taking extra vitamin C and B12. I dont know everyones health problems but mine, so I would call at least and ask your cardio doctor!

My cardio;s office called me Friday and i did get a 2nd pneumonia shot
here would be 2nd of one 10 years ago cus with surgery in Jan i had i couldnt
get it with the flu shot then with surgery coming up instructed to only take
the reg flu shot and update other in july(I DID) now again flu shot and h1n1
be offered through work so im happy for these two pokes i will get;)

BAVer with recent flu

BAVer with recent flu

I am 39, have 2-3+ AR, ascending aortic dilation, and bicuspid aortic valve. It is hypothesized that I had endocarditis.

In mid June, I felt feverish for several days and tired. Called cardiologist, had immediate blood cultures, antibiotics and sent to infectious disease who in turn ordered throat samples and influeza test (they place swabs or Qtips into your nose). These tested positive for Influenza A, which infectious disease MD stated was likely H1NI and started me on Tamiflu immediately.

I did all this very fast, 3 days from first sign to testing for Influenza A because I knew something was not right. After the flu, I had an infection in my throat and sinuses, Staph, which took three antibiotics. I am vaccinated for regular flu and pneumonia but whole thing took me a month to get over.

After all this, just had bloodwork and some things are still not quite right. My advise: if you have the means or health insurance and it doesnt feel like a regular cold or you have doubts, get tested for it and see your MD.

Best wishes,

Rick

H1n1

H1n1

This variant of the flu in Australia has not affected the old or those with cardio-pulmonary conditions near as much as would normally be expected.
Most of the deaths have been with people under 60 that have diabetes or are morbidly obese.

I will ask my cardio about H1N1 vaccine. Normally, I would stay away from it because it is new, but now I would probably get it when it's available.

What about prophylactic use of Tamiflu when in doubt? I wonder if that helps.

Regarding symptoms, I think fatigue and dizziness without typical flu symptoms such as fever and cough could mean a number of things, scariest of which is endocarditis. If I continue to feel so bad, I will definitely get it checked out middle of the week, and demand culture.

without any symptoms of H1N1, can we use vaccine ? can u tell me the name of the vaccine?

SRINIVAS

srinivas Heart History:
13/6/2008 2D Echo Diagnosed Ascending Aortic Dissection ,Bicuspid aortic valve, Moderate AR at the age of 38(2008)
9/6/08 CT scan shows Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection extending upto brachio cephalic trunk and mild aneurysm
16/07/08 Operative findings & repair. Aortic aneurysm approx size 10 cms diameter.Aneurysm extd upto 1c m from innomiate artery. Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery procedure done to repair my anueuysm with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit(SN 84094003.REF25CAVGJ-51400 AOROTIC VALVED GRAFT) At CARE Hospital Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India. Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan gave me re birth! Dr . Sridar,Dr.Amreesh, Dr.Jagannatham completed the formalities.

The vaccine is preventive, not a treatment. THey don't have a vaccine for the H1N1 yet, although it is being tested in the US right now. I am not sure about India.

Latest posts

Back