Having surgery early in January - should I go on my Christmas cruise?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

:confused:I just came back from a 6 month checkup with my cardiologist and he says it's time for the new aortic valve. I have an angiogram booked and meet with the surgeon next week. The surgery should happen early in January. WHEEWW - it's alot to take in. I have a family cruise booked for a week at Christmas with my husband and kids and I'm wondering if we should cancel. I have fatigue and some lightheadedness much of the time, and don't know if this gets worse or just stays like this until surgery. Some days I feel good. I can deal with how I feel if it doesn't change and the trip might be a good distraction.The cardiologist says I might as well go, but I don't know if I want to be that far from home! I hope someone can give me some advice.

Dale, if the surgeon and cardiologist agree- go for it- it will be a nice diversion in those nervous days before surgery. Be sure to let us know your date when you have one and in the meantime- enjoy the holidays.

hi dale,fully agree with phyllis go for it, i had my avr in feb this year so now whats it like to be waiting over the xmas period,it will do you good to go,and dale am sure you will be fine,

Unless the angiogram or surgeon says differently, I definitely recommend going. The wait for surgery will seem very long. Keep yourself busy. My family went to Sea World shortly before my surgery. It was hot, we walked a lot, I was tired, but I'm certainly glad I went.

This sounds morbid and kind of weird, but I worried about "What if....the worst happens and all my kids have to remember from those days leading up to surgery is that Mom dropped them off at daycare and went to work every day and then she was gone." Of course, the worst rarely happens, but I wanted to spend as much time with my family as possible.

Check your travel insurance!

Check your travel insurance!

Dale,
I don't mean to be a wet blanket:(, but check to make sure that your travel insurance will cover anything that might happen. I was asking my surgeon about travel before the op and he made the point that if travelling outside Canada to US or elsewhere, and even inter-Provincially, be sure that you are covered. I have travel insurance but I got it before this valve issue was diagnosed. If you have a pre-existing condition be sure it is covered on your travel insurance.
Cameron

Absolutely go. You may find that you enjoy this vacation all the more for the knowledge of what comes after. Views may seem more vivid, special moments more poignant, and you may just find yourself more open to the experience. Just let go and relax your way through it.

Best of all, you'll be at sea level, so you won't have to deal with shortness of breath you might have in the mountains. Have a wonderful trip!

Best wishes,

My inclination would be to go for it -- esp if your docs have said okay. Sounds like it could be very relaxing diversion. I am assuming in any situation like that, there is some contingency for emergencies. Never been on a cruise myself. I'd say go for it.

We cruise very often and if your doctors approve, absolutely go. You will enjoy the pampering and relaxation. It will give you a chance to spend wonderful time with your family without distractions and the business of everyday life. You most probably are into cancellation penalty time period at this point, aren't you? Not that your health is not more important than the price of the cruise.

If your doctors give the okay, you should feel secure you will be safe. They wouldn't let you go if there was serious risk.
ALL cruise ships which cater to U.S. and Canadian guests have infirmaries. The specifics of these infirmaries vary by cruise line.

The cruise might take your mind off an upcoming surgery. :)

Make time for rest while on the trip. No sense overdoing things and later remembering the trip as a time of fatigue rather than enjoyment.

By all means, go on your cruise & enjoy yourself w/your family prior to your surgery. The distraction will help defray the anguish of the wait for sure! And if your doctors approve of you going, then go for it. If you feel tired or fatigued, you can always retire to your suite or cabin to relax.

Have a wonderful time & make sure to take pictures so that you can share them with us!
:)

I went on vacation with my family a couple of weeks before my surgery. I was glad I had that one on one time with them. If everyone gives you the all clear, go for it.

Kim

Definitely go and enjoy yourself! Like the others said, it will be a good diversion so you just don't sit home and worry about the surgery.

Best wishes,

Dawn-Marie

I would also want to know if insurance would cover an Emergency Evacuation Flight, 'just in case'.

Look at www.medjetassist.com
Highly respected company by doc friends of ours. Many of them have this coverage. This does not pay medical bills, only evacuation which can cost upwards from $50,000 to be removed from a cruise ship. (I don't know if people in Canada can purchase it.)

We purchase this as an annual policy and it covers us for medical evacuation anywhere in the world to the HOSPITAL OF OUR CHOICE. That is the important difference in this insurance and most others. Usually you go where they wish to send you.

The annual premium is quite moderate especially if you qualify for AARP as that earns a nice discount.

For anyone who travels, it seems almost irresponsible to not have a policy of this sort. Some folks buy travel insurance trip by trip but that is a whole separate discussion.

I think you should definitley go on your cruise. Have fun and take that time to relax as much as possible. Waiting is the hardest part so enjoy and let it take your mind of the surgery.Good luck.

You'll kick yourself in the tail if you don't go! Don't blow the opportunity. Go and enjoy yourself and for me too!

What fun you will have...............GO.......ENJOY

We will be envying you here:p

zipper2 (DEB)

Latest posts

Back