Has anyone experienced problems on airplanes?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonbet

Hi, all. I'm wondering if the pressure or the amount of O2 concentration in the circulated air in an airplane cabin has ever caused a problem for anyone with moderate to severe aortic stenosis?
McCbon

As I was nearing my surgery date, I had occasion to fly a couple of times. At one time, I could have sworn that the O2 content of the cabin air dropped, as I had to breathe more deeply than usual to avoid feeling light-headed. It quickly passed, so I have no idea whether or not it was related to my valve, but I have not encountered that feeling again since my surgery.

Hadn't flown before surgery so can't say. But this post drew my interest as I was curious to see if it was about flying after surgery. I have wondered if my sternal wires would set off the airport metal detectors? Is that possible?

Thank you all for responding to my message. I was wondering if this was "a thing." But it seems not to be. My two episodes must have been linked more to dehydration and GI issues and not cardiac related.
I remember, years ago, an interview with stewardesses involved in a lawsuit with the industry about the decreased O2 concentrations ($$ savings) in the cabins and how it was making people sick.
I wondered if that plus my compromised perfusion might be an issue, since I am scheduled to fly again soon. I thought maybe folks on this site may have heard something. I am much reassured. Thanks again, McBon

Latest posts

Back