Half marathons - Medtronic Twin Cities marathon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, they have FIXED our hearts, we can do whatever we want! (Unless there are other underlying health issues, of course.)

My plans for next year (2nd AVR was September 2011 after a serious bout of endocarditis with embolisms and an abcess):
January - 28km open ocean paddling race on the international series, Perth, Australia
June - 35km open ocean paddling race on the international series, Mauritius
August - half marathon with three stinkin' hills
October - Cape to Cape mountain bike race - 4 day stage race, about 240km
December - trail marathon

My cardiologist knows my plans and is very supportive. Good luck to everyone planning to use your new heart parts to do something incredible! :)

Nice set of plans ski girl! We have many members from Cardiac Athletes over in Australia, including our founder, Lars. We have to have a meet up over there some day!

Rachel,
I am shooting for a half next year as well. Maybe we can meet up at the TC marathon. Fingers crossed.
Until then, Happy Running.

I would love to meet up at the TC marathon next year regardless of my GH status! Running a half by then is a great goal, and it's always nice to meet other valvers!

Keep me posted on your progress, and I'll do the same.

Rachel

I would love to meet up at the TC marathon next year regardless of my GH status! Running a half by then is a great goal, and it's always nice to meet other valvers!

Keep me posted on your progress, and I'll do the same.

Rachel

I am very new to running, just started one year ago and had tentatively planned on doing the 5k ( don't think I'll be ready for the 10 miles or any other distance). I'd love to meet some of you fellow valvers if that would be possible. I have a friend in the Twin Cities and plan on staying the whole week-end.

I am very new to running, just started one year ago and had tentatively planned on doing the 5k ( don't think I'll be ready for the 10 miles or any other distance). I'd love to meet some of you fellow valvers if that would be possible. I have a friend in the Twin Cities and plan on staying the whole week-end.

So great that you've started to run! Another event coming up that some valvers/cardiac athletes are doing is the Cincinnati Mini Heart Run (I think there's a half, a 15K, a 5K and a walk) on March 17. This one is all about heart patients put on by the American Heart Association. I plan on being there, the website is here:

http://cincinnati.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1024975

Rachel

Dear All,
Thanks for all the tips on the TC marathon. I do plan to run a 10M before I apply for the Global Heros slot and I hope to make it.
I started my 12 week marathon training program last week and did 5 M non stop on two consecutive Sundays. I guess with a couple of breaks I could do 10M. That has given me a lot of hope.Hope to see fellow valvers at TC if I go.
Until then, I plan to keep on running.....

I don't know about this forum but check-Cardiac Athletes and go through the member profiles. You'll find lots of folks with valve replacement and all kinds of other heart issues who have run marathons (and triathlons/Ironman even) following surgery.

I did a 6 mi run outdoors on Thanksgiving morning and averaged 11 min/mile; immensely satisfied. I think I should be able to do a 10 miler in the very near future. Hope to make it to the TC marathon event. Will keep everyone posted.

Hi Folks,
Happy Holidays. Thought I will provide an update on my running during this season. I was lucky to be picked for the Medtronic ten miler. Completed the 10 miler in October in less than 2 hours as I had hoped.
I had the opportunity to meet an amazing group of runners and organizers over a 4 day period. Both I and my wife were provided all travel and accommodation in addition to being treated like royalty by Medtronic.
You can read about my bio. and the rest of the event including registering for the event in here. http://www.medtronic.com/2013globalheroes/our_heroes.html#k6
Please contact me if you need any info. on participating. Even if you are just a novice to running, it is really worth trying. Case in point, yours truly.
Thanks from the "bottom of my heart" to all those on this forum that provided the encouragement for doing so. Everyone of you is a "hero" for not letting your handicap become a hindrance but instead using it to inspire and motivate others.

enkaynj,
Congrats on being selected for spot on Medtronic Team and on running a great race!! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Latest posts

Back