GymGuy went back to gym - Week 6

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

I mentioned I would post up some exciting news. Well, here it is.

I went back to gym on my week #6 post OHS. As a matter of fact I was able to squat lightly on my 6 week anniversary, and, it felt like freedom, victory, and tasted like a chocolate cake dessert. I did a whole bunch of sets of 10-rep squats and I am happy to report that despite decent loss of lean mass the bar and what little weight I was using still felt like a feather and I was just doing it to practice form.

Ok, so this was my Tuesday (Free Weight Squats, Body Weight Lunges, and Machine Leg Extensions) all exercises were done for 3-5 sets for 10 reps each.
Wednesday I went again and did some very very very light upper body. I basically super-setted some bent over rows, some rear delts, and some 1 arm laying DB presses. Again, all of this was done with fairly light weights (for me), and there was no observed sternum discomfort or popping.
Thursday was off (I had to work and could not get out in time), which actually let the soreness work in, and boy was I sore. My glutes, hammies, quads and calves were screaming from Tuesday's light squats.
Friday, my legs felt better and so I did some medium light squats on a smith machine, it was 5 sets of 3 reps. Whenever I use Smith Machine, I pause my reps at the bottom and then drive up really fast - we call it speed work. I was able to breath normally throughout all the reps.

Ok, so where do we go from here?
My plan is to take next 6 weeks and just establish back my regular schedule and do lots of reps for practice and familiarize myself with all the exercises slowly and patiently. I plan to not do any exercise which puts undue load on my sternum, so no barbell presses or overhead presses, or snatches, cleans, or anything like that for me. Also, and this is very unfortunate, no Kettlebell work. So, instead I will use 1-arm dumbbells for any work that I want to do to alleviate pressure on sternum, etc.

I have some video's of these workouts and could be convinced to share them in private.

Edited to add: My resting heartrate has been in the mid-high 70's, something like 77, though, at night it is 68. Most activity gets it to 88-92. Weightlifting exercises I do pushes it to 110-120. My blood pressure is 130/75 or about so.

Last edited:
Now we're talking. I got back to the gym about 2 weeks ago. Been doing about 45 minutes of cardio and the hitting light weights. I think I mentioned in another post that I started working just legs. Now I'm basically doing everything but chest. I like to work core as much as I can and I have gotten to where most ab exercises feel OK. Low back and obliques are OK as well. I have also avoided lat pull downs as they seem to incorporate some chest muscles but it might be time to try those with light weights. One of my goals is to get back to doing pull ups.

Right now I have a nasty cold (probably caught it at the gym) so I haven't been for a few days trying to rest up. Start back to work tomorrow so I think I'll wait for Tuesday to try working out early and making it through a full day of work.

Keep posting that progress. Now we're starting to have some fun.

Gary

Awesome job!!!! Although your workout is a completely foreign to me, ("smith machine", "snatches", "cleans", and "Kettlebell" OH MY) I'm sure you're really super glad that you're getting back into a more normal routine! It sounds like your body is really adjusting well and it won't be long before you'll be fully back once your sternum heals.

Keep it up!

Awesome job!!!! Although your workout is a completely foreign to me, ("smith machine", "snatches", "cleans", and "Kettlebell" OH MY) I'm sure you're really super glad that you're getting back into a more normal routine! It sounds like your body is really adjusting well and it won't be long before you'll be fully back once your sternum heals.

Keep it up!

You have no idea ;) I am so psyched it's crazy.

@Njean, I am trying to not over do it. I am pacing myself every work out. it is so tough, though.

Wow... that's great GymGuy!

Keep us posted on your process, but don't push it too hard yet.
Did your doctor approve of you getting back to your routine?

Rob

Not pushing too hard is the hardest thing right now ;) My cardiologist said the same thing, play it by ear, do not do anything crazy and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Every day that I workout, my body SCREAMS at me and tells me to go more, go harder and stop being a wimp. I tell it to shut up while I buy more time till 12 weeks post OHS when I will consider entertaining it's offer ;)

I find the one day at a time approach to "taking it easy" works for me when I want to push it harder than I should. I try not to think about the conditioning I'm losing by working out less that usual or how long before I can get back to it. I say, "Just for today, I'll do a little less."

Latest posts

Back