Good Morning America

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! I just watched this myself! What a great breakthrough! I sure wish that it was available when I needed my valve.

With the rate these improvements are going, I figure if I ever need another replacement, they'll be able to do it telephonically!

Key word: Experimental. It's not available to everyone. It may never be available to everyone, but it certainly is interesting.

I witnessed this being done, or should I say having just been done to an 84 yr old man when I was in hospital a few weeks ago. He was up and about the very next day and feeling fine, except a sore groin (ouch).
What I want to know is what happens to the existing poorly valve it's replacing ? Does it just get squished behind the new one !?

I witnessed this being done, or should I say having just been done to an 84 yr old man when I was in hospital a few weeks ago. He was up and about the very next day and feeling fine, except a sore groin (ouch).
What I want to know is what happens to the existing poorly valve it's replacing ? Does it just get squished behind the new one !?

In a nut shell, yes.

We've been chatting about this procedure for a while. I do want to caution people, again, to make their choices today based on technology done today, with their hopes for future improvements being just that, hopes. This particular study is being done on those who can't have surgery. I think big questions still loom in how these types of valves that have to be constructed to be able to go through a catheter will hold up in a 40 year-old's body that lives an active life. We're looking at years and years of trials before this answer is known. To my knowledge, trials are not going on for those who are considered good surgical risks. But I haven't researched it in a few months. Much like the On-X valve that is in trials, we will start to see people coming here who have been offered these "catheter valves" when/if it gets going for the general valve population.

It's also being done on just the aortic valve so far.

Sorry to be a wet blanket - I think it's exciting for those who can't have surgery.

We've been chatting about this procedure for a while. I do want to caution people, again, to make their choices today based on technology done today, with their hopes for future improvements being just that, hopes. QUOTE]

Yeah but sometimes you need a wet blanket to put out a fire. :p

It's a good point to ponder for those of us who have the time.
Thanks everyone for your sharing.:)

Jane

Last Aprl, when I discussed my fears of another OHS in case I had the tissue valve, my surgeon told me they are already experimenting this procedure and that he will do it for me when I needed it. It sounded too good to be true at a time I was so stressed out!

I'm so happy for 91 year old sister Thomas (WOW)

what a happy new year for her and her family indeed.

Awesome she could be helped;)

zipper2 (DEB)

Something to look forward to in the future

Something to look forward to in the future

I found this "news" article very interesting and investigated it a little more. As the clinical trials are currently being conducted, it is only being done on folks with senile aortic stenosis and additionally excludes those of us with bicuspid valves.

Ironically, that means that most of us are too young and healthy to participate at this point in time, but my 88 year old father-in-law, who has just been diagnosed with aortic stenosis, may be a good candidate for this less invasive method.

While I am looking at AV the at the end of next month, I can at least dream that if I need a replacement down the line, there may be the possibility of a much less intrusive method in my future.

Sweet dreams!

Dawn-Marie was telling me about this segment on TV yesterday! She said she felt so good that the little old nun was able to benefit by the procedure.

Unfortunately however, it wouldn't be any good for Dawn because she's got a bicuspid valve ---- I keep praying for that special miracle that will benefit my friend!

The first successful one in this country was done right here at my hospital in Royal Oak Michigan. They did the procedure I believe on a Friday and he went home on Sunday. Monday morning he was back at work! And he was in his late seventies at that time, which was the fall of 2005.
By a quirk of fate it turned out he is a personal friend of my next door nieghbor and we had to go to his place for some business. You might imagine this person being a little feeble old man. Boy was I surprised. He doesn't look anywhere near his age, and he is a really big strong guy. I guess there were too many other medical issues with him to do a normal replacement.
So who knows what the future holds. I have a 17yr old grandson who will need valve replacement in coming years so I hope he may benefit from all the advancements.
Rich

Latest posts

Back