Gluing the breastbone back together?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I know. Plus, there is no way they are even considering this on pediatrics yet. It would be nice though.... maybe by the time he has to have his second surgery they'll be closer to valve replacement without a sternotomy.

I really like the glue idea though... THAT isn't out of the question. :D

Thinking about it I wonder if they can use the glue in growing bones, Could the section of bone where the glue attatches grow like a healed break could

Deanne,

That is just fascinating! I've thought myself, after over 50yrs they can't come up with something better?? I guess so far, no one has had an alergic reaction.

My other question would be is it harder to re open the sternum when you need another heart surgery or if it is the same as it is with regular healing without the glue. I haven't found that anywhere yet[/QUOTE]

Lyn,
Interesting question you pose. I haven't had the opportunity to speak with my surgeon about this new advancement; however, on speaking with his nurse she said he was somewhat hesitant about using the glue especially if he needs to go back in to do an emergency re-op. When I see him, I will have to ask him about this. I am not sure how long it take for the glue to "set".

Back