"Gluing sternum together" - wonder what happened to that

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terr

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091112121609.htm

"I used to warn my open-heart surgery patients that they would feel like they had been hit by a truck during a long recovery period; I'm glad I don't have to say that anymore." More than one million open-heart surgeries are performed in the world each year by splitting the breastbone. Until this recent discovery, wire closure of the breastbone had been standard practice since routine heart surgery was established a half century ago.
The investigators believe that this improved method of chest closure will become a new standard of care for patients undergoing open-heart surgery. Fedak has started training surgeons in other Canadian and European hospitals where it is rapidly gaining popularity.

I see. That study doesn't show much benefits, at least in immediate pain. Are there any studies for pain weeks after and/or speed of healing?

Pain subsides. If the glue doesn't hold thats a far worse situation. I wish I didn't have wires in me but they do/did offer a certain level of confidence while the healing took place. I had heard some horror stories about a guy whose wires didn't hold and he had all sorts of very painful complications.

Terr;n869772 said:
I see. That study doesn't show much benefits, at least in immediate pain. Are there any studies for pain weeks after and/or speed of healing?

That was pretty recent and it was calling for more studies

Terr;n869768 said:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091112121609.htm"I used to warn my open-heart surgery patients that they would feel like they had been hit by a truck during a long recovery period; I'm glad I don't have to say that anymore." More than one million open-heart surgeries are performed in the world each year by splitting the breastbone. Until this recent discovery, wire closure of the breastbone had been standard practice since routine heart surgery was established a half century ago.
Wires or glue the sternum is split. If you're hit by a truck - which is what open heart surgery with sternotomy apparently feels like - how can the way the sternum is held together afterwards reduce the effect by gluing the sternum rather than holding it together with wires ? It's still split. Ther sternum has still been prised apart and the ribs pulled apart. The heart is still stopped and the lungs deflated. Not sure how glue makes much difference ?

almost_hectic;n869773 said:
Pain subsides. If the glue doesn't hold thats a far worse situation. I wish I didn't have wires in me but they do/did offer a certain level of confidence while the healing took place. I had heard some horror stories about a guy whose wires didn't hold and he had all sorts of very painful complications.

AFAIU, the adhesive is in addition to wires, not instead of.

Latest posts

Back