Genetic testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tass

Was recently suggested by Gyno that I could benefit from having the BRAC Analysis done to test for the breast cancer gene. I'm really not sure I want to do it. I know I'm at high risk anyway due to my mother having it pre-menopausal.

I know insurance companies aren't supposed to use this info against you, but I already have one 'strike' against me for the BAV/Coarc.

Any opinions?

Tass

It's hard when your torn between finances and health care. Personally, I feel you need to put your health first and just not worry about your insurers. Plus, with healthcare reform kicking in, it may be a moot point from now on.

Tass, as for help making the choice to have genetic testing, I can't be much help. From what I know of the issue, genetic testing is sort of problematic unless you are committed to taking action based upon the results. This has to be such a delima since having the gene or genes still does not mean one is certain to develop the disorder. The new health care law, however, will explicity prohibit insurance companies from using genetic information to determine eligibility along with other pre-existing conditions but that part of the law does not go into effect until 2014.

Latest posts

Back