follow-up recommendations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbheart

I had an appointment with my cardiologist this past week and he said that there was no need to check my new valve (1 year, 3 months) with an echo in the future as long as I have no symtoms. Is this true? Does anyone know the recommedations for follow-up of a mechanical aortic valve?

Part of the reason that I ask is that he didn't know that I should have an annual CT scan of my descending aorta since my ascending aorta dissected in a couple places and I have a connective tissue disease similar to Marfan's. I found that information on the National Marfan's Foundation website. It's making me doubt his other recommendations.

Thanks for any help!
Paranoid Kris :confused:

I don't know that there is an actual standard set forth, but mine wants mine checked yearly.

I wouild think they would want to, at least yearly, to check for vegitation, leakage etc, so I'm not comfortable with what they told you either.

I'd like more oversight on this one..

I'd like more oversight on this one..

Kris:
Al received his St. Judes mechanical valve in October of 1990. Since then he has had an echo each and every year. Recently we had some things happen that threw off our schedules. When our Cardio saw that Al had missed his yearly echo, he got down-right contentious.

Al scheduled an echo cardiogram for four days later. Our Cardio felt it was that important.

Regards.,
Blanche

Echos for MV Repair??

Echos for MV Repair??

I am wondering what the protocol is for mitral valve repairs. My cardiologist said every two years now. I had to ask to have the one done this year (last month) but from now on it will be every two years. I am wondering if that is because we have a public health system here, and they simply don't want to spend the money.

Adrienne said:
I am wondering what the protocol is for mitral valve repairs. My cardiologist said every two years now. I had to ask to have the one done this year (last month) but from now on it will be every two years. I am wondering if that is because we have a public health system here, and they simply don't want to spend the money.

I'm thinking that 2 years is a common recommendation IF / WHEN there are NO problems and NO other known risks.

I can certainly understand patients being more comfortable with more frequent testing, i.e., once a year when things are going well and every 6 months if there are changes or disease is progressing.

'AL Capshaw'

Adrienne said:
Both of my doctors agree on echos every 18 months or 2 yrs.
Of course, should any symptoms or discomfort be noticed, an echo would be requested sooner.
My last 2 echos were 18 months apart....I'm happy with that.

Thanks, everyone! I went back to the old thread, Phyllis, and it was very helpful, too. I think I'll wait until my next 1 year appointment and then push for an echo. I did have one back in March when I was having chest pain but going for several years from now if I don't have symptoms doesn't seem quite right. It seems like there is a lot of disagreement among doctors.

Adrienne said:

For my Mitral Valve Repair my Cardio did an echo this year (one year post-op) and scheduled another for next year. After that, he said I might only have to see him, and have an echo, every other year as long as I'm still seeing my GP for my annual check-up.

Personally, I think everyone should ask if they can get an ECHO every year. For 29+ years, I used to have one every two years but after my last OHS last year & due to some complications that have followed, the doctors decided they are going to do one every 6 months which I'm perfectly ok with. Hopefully this way, if something is getting worse, it can be detected sooner. Better safe than sorry!

Latest posts

Back