Follow up from AV repair (2 year old)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isfahan

Many of you may remember Wren (http://echobaby.blogspot.com) who had OHS in November. He was facing valve repair or replacement, Ross etc and we had many different opinions from cardiologists and surgeons about the way to go.

A few weeks ago we had his 3 month follow up to the repair. The areas below and above his aortic valve which were enlarged during the OHS are looking good. His mitral valve which was not treated but showed worsening after surgery has also 'recovered' since to mild regurg. However, there is slow but steady progression of the AV stenosis. The mean gradient is now 42. We have another follow-up in 4 months to see whether it has stabilized or progressed. If it has progressed Wren will have a ballooning to buy some time before the eventual valve replacement.

He is just 2 in December but we hope he can be bigger before the valve needs replacing so it will last him till adulthood. The Ross is not recommended by many surgeons for kids like him with BAV and coarc because they feel that it extends the risk into another valve when 2 heart valves are already 'diseased'.

Send us luck and stable valve prayers. We are going on VACATION while the cardiologists think he is well enough. Yay!
Shannon

Shannon,
I am sending all my best wishes your way! Have a happy vacation! I am sorry that baby Wren is facing more procedures. I will pray the ballooning works and buys him enough time to grow big enough for a valve that will last him a while.
Jen

Back