Fluid Retention

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfay

I have noticed over the last several weeks that my lower legs/ankles have been feeling really tight and a little uncomfortable. I can tell that I have some edema there which is not something I have ever had before I had surgery in April. It isn't a constant thing, but happens at least several days a week minimum. When should you call your Dr. about something like this? Isn't 3.5 months post op a little far out to be having a side effect like this?

Kim

They told Joe to call when his weight went up 2 lbs. in one day (24 hours) or 5 pounds in 3 days.

Weighing yourself first thing in the morning before you eat and w/o clothing is the best way to keep track of fluid retention.

Get a litle spiral binder and keep track of your weight each day.

Salty meals can put weight on anyone. If you want to keep fluid retention to a minimum, stay away from sodium and salt as much as possible.

It takes a normal person about 7 days to get rid of fluid from a very salty meal. People with CHF have a much harder time with this.

I agree that it is best to check with your medical practitioner. There are many possibilities and you don't want to mess around. I know from personal experience. I am on furosemide for fluid retention and edema and it is something the cardiologist wants to know about and monitor. good luck!

I have noticed over the last several weeks that my lower legs/ankles have been feeling really tight and a little uncomfortable. I can tell that I have some edema there which is not something I have ever had before I had surgery in April. It isn't a constant thing, but happens at least several days a week minimum. When should you call your Dr. about something like this? Isn't 3.5 months post op a little far out to be having a side effect like this?

Kim

I agree with Nancy. I'm 16 days post op and when releasesd, they wanted daily weight checks. I swelled up like a balloon in the hospital and gained 20# of fluid. I've finished my prescription of water pills and am currently at my pre-op weight. I think the time frame is unusual- perhaps something else going on??????:confused:

I gained 17 pounds fluid during my surgery and it was gone (thanks to lasix) by the time I left the hospital.

At a cardio appointment three months post op, I mentioned some days my ankles have some fluid and he gave me an Rx for lasix to be used as needed. He was careful to explain what maximum dosage he wanted me to take and at what point he wanted me to call him if it continued. I never had edema pre op.

Latest posts

Back