Fixing one valve leads to another valve problem?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin

Dear valvers,

Has anyone of you experienced complications where a particular valve repair lead to a new valve problem after weeks/months of the OHS? Is it possible that healthy valves go south by repairing a diseased one?

Cheerio,

Dear Dustin:

MKy husband did have something like this happen.

He had heart surgery, to replace 2 valves, aortic and mitral. Post surgery, 2 months later, it was discovered that his tricuspid valve had a moderate leak, which progressed to severe within a few additional months.

In our opinion, based on what we know, the severity of the leakage of the first two valves, "masked" the problem with the tricuspid valve. It was probably bad all that time, but because of the hemodynamics, didn't show up in the echo's as an issue.

Are you concerned with another valve?

Marybeth

Interesting question Dustin. I know that when my valve was finally replaced, one of the things that sent them in, was the fact that my aortic valve had also begun to leak mildy. They felt it was from the stress on the heart due to my bad mitral valve. After surgery the leak disappeared from the aortic valve.

I have also heard of what Marybeth mentioned, that the worse valves were masking the damage to the other valves.

Dustin said:
Dear valvers,

Has anyone of you experienced complications where a particular valve repair lead to a new valve problem after weeks/months of the OHS? Is it possible that healthy valves go south by repairing a diseased one?

Cheerio,

Dustin, the answer is yes, it can happen. I was cautioned by my doctors before my MVR that because valve problems usually develop gradually that the rest of the heart has adapted to that environment and the new environment would be different. Hopefully changes would be positive but not in all instances. Mitral stenosis is known to spare the left ventricle by reducing the strain in the LV as well as to the aortic valve. A repaired mitral valve increases the workload of the aortic valve and problems may become apparent that were otherwise masked. For me, since MVR, my aortic valve has less regurgitation but now shows stenosis (1.3) and my tricuspid valve leaks more. Mitral stenosis is unique in the way it actually protects another chamber of the heart
but changes in other valves can also affect the rest of the heart as well.

Hi Dustin,
I am glad you asked this question. I recently had my first echo post aortic valve replacement surgery and was informed I have moderate mitral valve prolapse, which was never mentioned to me before surgery. I plan on asking more about this at my next cardiologist visit, but was curious if this was typical or something I should be more worried about. Thanks for the post!

Hi bvdr,

Yes, those were my thoughts exactly. Let's hope my other valves can deal with the new pressure and flow profiles.

Mine lead to SAM

Mine lead to SAM

I had robotic repair of the mitral valve (placed a ring around the base) to stop the regerg. after two months and during rehab I bottomed out my blood pressure and couldn't breath. I seems I had SAM, systolic anterioir motion were the newly repaired mitral valve leaflets began covering over the aortic valve. I eventually went in and had it repaired a second time and now have a mechanical valve and no more SAM. Sooo yes I guess the cure can be worst than the problem. Moral of the story go to rehab keep a close watch during the first few weeks and believe you body. I never felt that I was getting better after the frist operation. I feel great now though.

Latest posts

Back