Finger stick error??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbheart

My INR has been too low and I was trying to figure out why it had not gone up more this past two weeks. At the last visit to the coumadin clinic, the nurse was trying to get a drop of blood from my finger to drop on the machine. Something went wrong and she had to replace the strip. It took a long time for the next strip to be ready. She finally squeezes the same finger again and gets a reading. Here's my question: Since this new drop of blood is from the same finger stick as before, hasn't it already started clotting? Will it give an accurate reading? Should she have stuck a new finger? :confused:

Thanks!

She probably should have wiped off the first drop of blood for the 2nd test strip, just to make sure that there weren't any coagulated materials in it. But as long as you can get a good drop of blood from the same stick, there isn't really any reason to stick your finger again, that I can see.

Shoot! I was looking for an excuse for my low numbers! But it is nice to know that the clinic didn't make an error.:eek:

Well your killing me with suspense. What was it today and did you do the 6mg as you were talking about?

We have been testing CoaguChek-S against CoaguChek-XS looking at this very question. We have always gotten the blood for the XS from the second stick. There is no significant difference that we can see after about 400 comparisons.

Ross said:
Well your killing me with suspense. What was it today and did you do the 6mg as you were talking about?

I just had it tested on Tuesday so they don't want me back until May 22nd (another difference between Al's chart and their practice) . But I have decided to up the dose by 18% rather than their suggested 12% so I can get back into range sooner.

Al, thanks for your feedback about the finger sticks. It's very reassuring. And thanks for your chart. It's been very helpful in trying to get my INR regulated.

Latest posts

Back