Even more active valvers!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have done a few races over the festive period. Yesterday (New Years Eve) I went to a 6 mile fell race and I bumped into a man who I had not seen for over 5 years. The last time I spoke to him he was on the waiting list to have his aortic valve replaced. He is still running and enjoying it!. He brought me up to date as to what had been going on since his AVR. When I mentioned that I am still waiting to have my AVR (he had forgotten that I was waiting) a big smile came across his face and he shouted to someone nearby "We have got another one here!". This other person has had a Mitral valve repair and had also competed in the race. I must point out that both these people are in their early 60's. They were full of encouragement about my future and it was really nice to actually meet people who have had valve replacements and are still active. I also get lots of encouragement from reading about other valvers who are still very active (Mark, Les, Tom etc...). It is good to know that you can still be active after valve surgery.

All the best

Martin

Very encouraging, Martin. What a wonderful experience to not be alone.

Even though I've been pigging out, I've kept up my running over the holidays. Celebrated Christmas with 5 miles, will do the same today. 130 miles in 2003.

I started running just 5 months ago - about the time I discovered vr.com. For several years post-op I just felt like I was damaged goods - little motivation, lots of excuses. In running terms, I'm very much the novice. But in my heart, I'm on top of the world. I feel like the world is ahead of me. I'm very thankful for the inspiration of others.

Happy New Year.

Hi Martin

Good to hear of your interest in running. I'm waiting for AVR myself and only recently have stopped running (until after the surgery!). I ran my last marathon nearly three years ago, but then this pesky valve got worse and I'm reduced to a brisk walk...

I hope to get back running after surgery and am continually encouraged to hear news of others doing the same.

All the best

Grant

Hi Grant
I am also from Melbourne and have resumed running post AVR surgery. I sent you an e-mail should you want to catch up at some time.
Welcome to Martin. More power to you! We are developing quite a list of keen (and competitive) runners here.
Greg

Hey, Greg -- Don't forget the runners among us who
a) are NOT competitive (but still consistent!)
b) are still awaiting surgery

I'll run as I can (currently 18 - 20 miles/week), until the doc tells me to stop -- hopefully only stopping the day before hospital check-in!

Hi Steve
I have been away from the list for a bit. My laptop computer was stolen over the Christmas break and have been trying to catch up in break times at work.

I did not mean to overlook the regular rather than competitive runners ( I am in the former group myself) and the guys in the waiting room. Over the past months you have personally given me great support through my various trials and tribulations via your posts. I hope you can stay with the running until your day with the doc comes. Both doctors and nurses commented that in part the reason my AVR went to plan was that I was in good shape prior to surgery, so it is well worth perservering.

Prior to surgery I was not sure whether I would be able to run much or at all. It is quite amazing that we now have an active lifestyles forum on this site that reports stories of pre and post surgery efforts of running, swimming, biking, etc etc that far outstrip the efforts of people who have never had a day of illness in their life. Bl**dy miraculous when you come to think of it!

So stick with it mate and enjoy your time out on the trails. Your PB is yet to come.
Greg

Hi Steve, Greg et al

Like you I am in the waiting stage but unfortunately don't get to choose my surgery date (in the Public hospital system here in Australia where it is based on assessed need and priority)

Like Steve, I have also been a keen runner (and triathlete) and would love to still be able to run and maintain fitness that way, but unfortunately even walking now gets me tired.

I'm at the stage where the waiting is dragging on me and I'm ready to get it over and done with before more permanent damage is done... I checked myself in to the hospital emergency this morning because of an increase in symptoms in recent weeks - my GP, surgeon and cardiologist are all away on leave! The hospital cardiologist is going to try and advocate for me to get higher up the list.

Till then, I'm keeping on walking (and praying!)

Regards

Grant

Grant, I can only try to understand how the waiting and lack of control over scheduling must feel, especially with things getting worse for you. I am still in the "some time, probably a few years" scheduling loop, so it feels a lot less pressing to me, especially since I'm (I believe) asymptomatic so far.

Hang in there -- all those who have travelled the path before us say is DOES get better after crossing the mountain.

Latest posts

Back