Ended Up Back in hospital w/ edema and shortness of breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRM-Mom

I was all happy to be home from the hospital and was trying to keep up with all he new first time appointments like going to the INR clinic often, cardiac rehab was getting started outpatient and follow up w/ the docs. As week 2 progressed I put on weight fast and became short of breath. Last Monday went into cardiac rehab and the nurses looked me over and suggested I go to the ER to get evaluated. I was admitted that night and stayed all last week in the hospital being diuressed (taking IV lasiks) to get rid of fluid. I also have some fluid around my heart which they are watching to make sure it doesn't progress. Gladly, I got home Sat. evening and have felt so much better. I've been breathing better and the edema in the feet and legs seems less. I am able to take my walks and do things. Also, I was low about 2 units of blood from surgery which explains my fatigue which also has greatly improved. I sure hated being in the hospital a week, but I feel better. All I can say is these things happen for a reason. Maybe I am not sure why now, but I know I was in the right place at the right time last Monday when it was suggested to me to go to the ER. The other option I had that day was to go home and wait for a routine appt. w/ the nurse practitioner the next day in cardiology. Needless to say, God was watching over me!
So, I am almost 3 weeks post surgery and things are looking up now!

I hope your recovery becomes much more smooth! Many don't get through recovery without a bump or two. Take care.

Sorry to hear you had to return to the hospital but very happy to hear you feel better and got the care you needed. Hope it's all a smooth recovery now. Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Sending you all good wishes.....

Barb ~ I'm so sorry you ended up back in the hospital. I'm glad it's taken care of and i wish you all the best for a smooth recovery from here on in. ~HUGS~

I had something similar happen the week I went home. Lots of fluid gain, couldn't breath laying down, and then I went into afib. My friendly family doc put me in the local hospital and they gave me something for the afib which caused my heart to stop for 3 or 4 seconds every half hour or so until the stuff got out of my system.

But, the good news is that I am starting an organized 450 mile bike ride on the 11 month anniversary of my surgery. You will be amazed at how fast you recover and how good you feel now they have that little bump in the road evened out.

Latest posts

Back