elevated heart rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric10

i am curious....does anyone have the problem of a high heart rate and what they have done about it....it has been 3 weeks since my aortic valve replacement and now we are in a holiday weekend and my heart rate has jumped and stayed at 139...any advice...eric 10

That seems very high. Do they have you on anything? I was on Lopressor to control heart rate. I still hovered around 100, but never that high. I'm back in the 70's after six weeks.

I think you need to give your cardio's or surgeon's office a call. You could be in a-fib or some other rhythm that needs to be checked out. They should have someone on call.

Kim

That is too high (tachycardia). You should strongly consider going to the ER this morning, if your cardiologist isn't available (as in "get dressed and go").

They can probably get you back out of there fairly quickly, as most people respond to treatment. It's likely not more than sinus tachycardia, but that is very wearing on the heart, and they can check right then whether there's something else involved as well. If they give you any prescriptions, make certain your doctor is made aware of them as soon as possible on Monday, or through his answering service today.

Temporary issues such as this do occur, especially early in the recovery. Do get it taken care of, but don't let yourself get stuck with a permanent fix for a temporary situation.

Best wishes,

Hi, sounds like it could be atrial fibrillation. You're probably on anticoagulation therapy, right? For me the only thing that would put my heart back in sinus rhythm was electrical cardioversion, but it was only after I was put on amiodarone :( that my heart would not go back into fibrillation/flutter.

Too high

Too high

Ditto the other posters. Get it looked at immediately. I'm sure they'll get it under control with beta blockers but don't wait.

Eric, it is Sunday as I write this and I hope you have either spoken with your surgeon or gone to the ER by now. My surgeon wants my resting pulse rate to stay around 60 for 6 months post op. He indicated that I should call my Cardiologist if my resting pulse rose above 70 for more than a few hours. I am taking 25mg of Metoprolol twice a day which is keeping my resting pulse very near 60. It also keeps the BP at about 120/70.

Please, let us know how things are going, Eric.

Larry

I am having the same problem. I cannot take beta blockers, have tried over 20 of them over the yrs, they make my bp go too low. Anyway, I am not taking any beta blockers and the last time I saw my dr, the nurse asked me if I had any arrythmia issues or tachycardia in the hospital, I told her I didnt think so..
I wake up gasping for air, and my heart rate is well over 100 every morning. I see the dr again Wed but so far, he doesnt know what may be causing these issues.

Just hang in there, I know I am trying!

Latest posts

Back