Dr. Oz's blood 'thinner' demo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnag131

Anybody catch Dr. Oz's show this morning? I saw a quick glimpse as I was walking by a t.v. Maybe I misunderstood, but from what I saw, he was holding 2 test tubes of blood, one thinned (his description) by an anti-coagulant and one with vitamin k in it. He was comparing the 'thinness" and 'thickness" of the blood in the two test tubes. Now I'm confused.

He was showing how the anti-coagulated blood in the test tube was sloshing around and the blood in the vitamin k test tube was like sludge.

The theme of the first segment of the show was how to handle and be aware while taking prescription meds.
e.g. not mixing up pills, not keeping long expired meds, and avoiding drug/food interactions with meds.
So, of course, he was trying to impress on people that vitamin K laden foods will hinder
the process of anticoagulation, but he really "over-did" his demo. ;)
I would have loved to run an INR test on those vials. LOL

Oh by the way, now that winters here, be sure to go to the clinic and have your blood changed to the winter formula 5W30 viscosity to provide quicker and less strained engine starts.

Someone should take Dr Oz out back and have a talk with him.

Oh by the way, now that winters here, be sure to go to the clinic and have your blood changed to the winter formula 5W30 viscosity to provide quicker and less strained engine starts.

Someone should take Dr Oz out back and have a talk with him.

Clinic????

I just got back from a Walmart automotive center. Had my blood changed out. :D

I'm kind of new to all this valve replacement stuff. I'm at barely severe aortic stenosis without symptoms. However, two tests; a May 2007 CT scan(chest only I thought) and a Dec 07 Bone scan showed a DVT. Doc says unless pain or swelling its not a concern and it'll just most likely go away. I never really liked that response.

No suggestions from him on diet or preventing clots at all. So I hear Vitamin K, like leafy greens are bad in this respect, but the greens seem beneficial in many other respects.

So I'm wondering what natural foods can work as an anti-coagulant. And are there natural foods that can be used instead of warfarin after valve replacement as an anti-coagulant.

So I'm wondering what natural foods can work as an anti-coagulant. And are there natural foods that can be used instead of warfarin after valve replacement as an anti-coagulant.

No. The only anticoagulant for a mechanical valve is Coumadin/Warfarin.

There are foods that can inhibit clotting, but there is no replacement for the drug therapy.

Back