Double valve replacement stories

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sistersue777

Where can I read about double valve replacement from people who have been through it personally or as a caregiver of someone who has had double valve replacement surgery? Thank you if you can help me. Best of luck to you all.

No more problems than a single valve as it's the opening up that causes the porblems, atleast for me. I had one valve moved and one replaced so I guess it's a double valve.

Hi sistersue, just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I am not sure that double replacement is any worse, really, than just replacing one. Maybe a little longer in the OR, but it is the anaesthetics, the other drugs, being on the bypass machine, being in an unnatural position for that length of time and having your sternum opened that cause many of us to describe the experience by thinking it feels like getting hit with a truck! Recovery should be about the same, as well.

In fact, many people find that after recovery, the fell better than ever.

Sue:

I know there are double valvers here. They'll be on later.

My father-in-law became a double valver with his 2nd MVR. His porcine valve was replaced 10 years after he got it, and his AV also was replaced at the same time.
This was 20 years ago, and he had a quad bypass at the same time, the aorta "rebuilt," as the surgeon told us, plus the tricuspid repaired.

The most problems he had post-op was from discomfort due to harvesting of veins for the CABG. He was in ICU for about 7-10 days post-op, and went to a nursing facility for at least several weeks, perhaps 2 months, after discharge because he was on warfarin and needed tests which the doctors didn't think he could get in his home town.

He lived almost another 5 years before dying of colon cancer.

I'm a double valver since June 2006 the Mitral valve and Arota valve are both St Judes mechanical valves. I also would be happy to try to answer any of your questions you can just pm me also.
My surgery was sucessful and no you do'nt double click. :)
Hope to hear from you. :)

'Double valvers? ' Since I'm relatively new to this place, that one sort of made me laugh a little. Just sounds funny but I'm sure it wasn't. I'm glad this thread has started as I am very interested in this topic too. Wouldn't you consider a Ross procedure a double valver? That is an option that has been mentioned more than once by a surgeon I saw after a cath and my cardiolgoist. I guess I always thought that was for younger ages ( I in no way consider myself old mind you.:p) so I hadn't considered it, but now interested in learning more about it. The only thing the surgeon said as I recall was that procedure would require a full sternotomy. That kind of also led me to believe that a mini-sternotomy could be an option if I went single valve. I am getting prepared to start 'interviewing' surgeons so thanks for your perspective out there. Is it double the 'pleasure '? :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Rhena

Triple valve replacement

Triple valve replacement

Hi Sister Sue,

I had triple valve replacement 12-23-04 and I am absolutely fine. No worries. I was 39. My aortic and mitral are mechanical and my tricuspid is bovine. I thought they were only going to do two but when they got in there they figured they would replace the tricuspid then instead of in a couple of years. I go to the gym 6 days a week (cardio/weights) and unless I tell people they would never know I had OHS. Oh and I take 6mgs of coumadin everyday, not an issue. Best of luck

My sister-in-law had her aortic and mitral valve replaced during a single surgery. She did so well it helped me when I found out I was going to have to have surgery on my mitral valve. I figured if she could do that well having 2 valves replaced I could handle surgery on 1 valve! Her surgery was 4 or 5 years ago and she's still doing great.

I, too, am a double valver, with both Aortic and Mitral replaced Feb 6, 01 with St. Jude mechanicals. Have had few lingering effects, but can hear the "double click" now and again in a quiet environment. Be glad to answer any questions I can!

Hello SisterSue & welcome to VR.

I am also a double valver: mechanical aortic & mitral valves. I had them implanted in 1975 when I was 24 years old & led a perfectly healthy & active life for at least 31 years. Rheumatic Fever was to blame for their demise.

In 2006, I had to have the aortic valve swapped out with a new St. Jude valve. The old mitral valve appeared to be working alright at the time of the surgery, so surgeon opted to leave well enough alone. Sadly however, a year later it too started to show signs of malfunction & I have been on significant medications to keep the CHF at bay. I have been told that a 4th surgery would pose a great risk so I just take it day by day.

I have also been on coumadin for all these years (34).

If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me if you wish.

Take care! :)

Hello Sue

Another double valver; aortic and mitral ATS for me in June 2005. I just had my annual check-up yesterday and my cardiologist says all is well.

Ask anything you want and like the others I will try to answer it for you.

Hello and welcome sistersue to vr and glad your here
i had 2 seperate surgerys 17 years apart so that makes
me a late doublevalver,:Dbut i got there sooner or later
Do to rhuematic fever my aortic went in 92 and 17 years
this past Jan 22 i had to replace my native mitral
Due to high risk surgery they needed to do my aortic but
wouldnot tackle it in Jan with my mitral,tell me i need
seperate surgery eventually so i end up double seperately
everytime lol...i guess i dont count in answering your question
but wanted to welcome you

Where can I read about double valve replacement from people who have been through it personally or as a caregiver of someone who has had double valve replacement surgery? Thank you if you can help me. Best of luck to you all.

You can find a link the the STORIES section of VR.com on the main page (www.valvereplacement.com).

After clicking on Stories, you will find several categories, including "Both Mitral and Aortic Valve Replacement" and a list of the names of people who have written their stories. The following names are listed there:

Both Mitral and Aortic Valve Replacement

Perry Anderson

Jim Nichols

Joann Bos

Nicole Demopoulos

Conspicuous by it's absense is the Story from Johnny Stephens who had BOTH his Aortic and Mitral Valves Replaced because of Radiation Damage from treatments for Hodgkins Disease.

ROSS - Where did Johnny's Story Go ?

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back