Do you have a favorite meter?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've seen similar discussions in the past, but haven't been able to find them.

A lot of people here say that the CoaguChek XS is their favorite meter.

In the past, people have said that they really like the InRatio.

If any of you have used more than one meter - whether CoaguChek XS, or InRatio, or InRatio 2, I'm interested in which ones you may prefer.

(I understand reasons to not like the CoaguChek S - strips require refrigeration, it's not always easy to get blood on the strip, etc. I understand why people don't prefer the ProTime or ProTime 3 - strips require refrigeration, take a lot more blood, the machine is rather large, etc.)

I have an opportunity to get an InRatio -- and am also wondering if the newer InRatio 2 and XS are that much better.

Thanks

It's kind of interesting that nobody responded to this one. I know that many have apparently upgraded from the CoaguChek S to the XS, some have switched from ProTime to CoaguChek S or XS or InRatio, and I'm probably safe to assume that others have upgraded from one meter to another. I'm also pretty certain that those of us who go to doctor's offices or anticoagulation clinics to have INRs tested may have some idea, from what they see at the clinics, which machine they may prefer.

For me, it's the ProTime 3 over the CoaguChek S. This may seem like an odd choice - the ProTime 3 requires more blood than the S, and takes longer to give a result. For me, though, I've wasted the last 14 CoaguChek strips out of 24 tests, because I couldn't get a good drop of blood on the little spot on the strip. I've tried the capillary tube but all I got was blood with air bubbles. My problems with the CoaguChek S make it a quite unfavorable device. (For a short time, I was able to consistently get good tests - but somehow that all changed).

The ProTime 3 has controls built into the strips. It comes with a lancing device (Tenderlette) that lances the finger and has a collection cup to collect the three or so drops of blood. The important thing is that I trust the meter and I very seldom can't do a good test.

My opinion may change, though. Today I got an InRatio - the original - but appearing to be fully functional. The menus come on, the meter asks for a strip, and it has a record of successful results.

All I have to do now is get some strips for it. I'd even be interested in strips that will expire soon -- just to try this meter and confirm that it works. If anyone has extras and would like to send me a message, I'd be happy to discuss the meter or strips if you send me a private message.

But - back to the subject of this thread - does anyone have a favorite meter? Why or why not?

I stated earlier that some of you may have upgraded from a CoaguChek S to an XS, but I've just learned that this may not have been possible. Roche told me that the S was never FDA approved for home use. They said that a DAILY quality test was required, and that Roche will NOT upgrade a home user's S to an XS because they can't provide support of the S to home testers. In a way, I may be surprised to hear from many out there who DID have CoaguChek S machines for home testing. The hoops you apparently have to jump through to get it to work (first drop, within fifteen seconds of incision, chemical QC testing before use, etc., etc.) make it pretty undesirable for home testing -- plus, unless you do the QC test before you do the INR test, you may not even be ablt to reliably trust this meter. I'll use up my remaining PT strips - if I can even get a good test - and retire that almost new machine, next to the Avocet dinosaur in my collection.

Another thing about the S - I've been trying to get a straight answer from Roche about what kind of support they're continuing to give to the S. They told me that they ESTIMATE that they'll no longer support the meter after their supplies of strips runs out - and they currently guess that it's October 11, 2010. If people stop buying the strips, it may be longer because their inventory will remain - if people try to stock up on the strips, it may be sooner. They confirmed that some strips currently available don't expire until 2012.

But back to the original topics of this thread -- do any of you have (or use) a favorite meter? Is there something about it that makes it seem better?

I noted that Roche is planning to stop support of the CoaguChek S in October 2011. I just got information from them saying that their final batch of strips will expire in April 2012. Bye Bye CoaguChek S.
I like eBay - and I've gotten good meters from vendors on eBay, but they can't police their vendors. What's annoying to me about it is that some companies (even Medical Supply Dealers who probably bought surplus meters) are STILL trying to sell CoaguChek S -- and even older, original CoaguChek meters. And some - who apparently paid too much when they bought these dinosaurs or soon-to-be dinosaurs are trying to get big bucks for these things. Although they may be aware that these will be paperweights in less than 18 months, they continue to sell them with no disclaimer. It's kind of like selling a 1968 car - but not saying that you probably won't be able to get parts or gasoline for it.

Back to the subject of favorite meters -- I've used my InRatio meter twice since getting it. It's easy to use, the display is large and easy to read. I confirmed the value of my first test against my ProTime 3, and I believe that it can be trusted (perhaps within a range of +/- 0.3 or so). I'm pretty sure that the InRatio will be my current favorite.

Now, looking at the InRatio 2 - aside from being smaller than the InRatio, and storing more results - are there other reasons why any of you chose to upgrade to a 2?

The upgrade from CoaguChek S to CoaguChek XS may have been something of a no-brainer for some people - and may have been an non-issue because mere mortals weren't supposed to get the S in any case.

Now -- when ITC finally formally announces their next meter (any time now), the whole issue of favorites may be one that we can revisit.

For me, for now, it's the InRatio. Now - if I only had more strips....

Latest posts

Back