Do any hospitals have dentists on site?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illinois Al

After my initial diagnosis on July 17 I was in the hospital, awaiting OHS, when I told them I had a cavity.
This had been discovered at a dental checkup but hadn't been filled yet (an appointment was pending). They released me to have the dental work done first, then readmitted me for the operation which was on August 8.

I have wondered since then, do any hospitals have dentists on staff/on site, and do any hospitals ever have dental procedures done on site? Surely they must have instances of patients that can't be released to go have dental work done, so that the procedures have to be done in the hospital.

Just wondering, it's not an issue with me any more and certainly not a urgent question, just curiosity.

Some do and some don't. Of the 4 area hospitals around me, only 2 have them and their oral surgeons, not just dentists. Some people such as myself, have to be admitted for certain things like full teeth extraction and dentures, but mainly the oral surgeons job in the hospitals are to treat jaw trauma and the like.

The hospitals I've worked for had dentists of all specialties on staff, but generally the oral surgeons were the only ones who actually practiced there, and not very often at that. As someone else said, mostly in the ER for people who had been in accidents. In the past, people who had wisdom teeth removal were hospitalized, but now that and many other more complicated things are done in the oral surgeon's office.

The dentists are available to treat inpatients, but generally the patient was wheeled to the dentist's office (in the same or an attached building), treated, and then wheeled back. It wouldn't be cost effective for a hospital to have a dedicated area for standard dental treatment - not that many patients need it.

A couple of weeks before my OHS my teeth were due to be cleaned. The dentist found a small cavity, but had no time to fill it, so I went ahead with the OHS anyway.
Our big hospitals have dental surgeons available or on call for major work only.

I suspect that one hospital in Dallas -- Baylor, where I had my surgery -- might have a dentist on staff. Or can pull one in PDQ.

Baylor dental college is adjacent to the hospital. I had oral surgery at Baylor hospital in 1967. The head of the oral surgery department at the dental school was in charge of the surgical team.

Oral surgeons only on staff, and they share call with the ENTs and plastic surgeons for major trauma only. All hospitals have policies regarding conscious sedation, etc, and many dentisits do not do IVs and the like. The pediatric oral surgeon must be an angel from God, since he brings his own equipment to same-day surgery and does all the Medicaid kids. Adults have to go to the office for most things, since the equipment is all there. Start-up costs for a dental clinic with 2 dentists-$500,000 easy, as I was the medical director for our clinic and the government pressured us constantly to start one. And, they are huge money-losers. The dental clinic at the Anchorage Neighborhood Health Center had been known to lose $200,000 per year. The clinic where I used to work finally set up a dental clinic. There is a full-time clinic, a mobile clinic, and a part-time clinic. There are several dental hygenists. They have been teaching the physicians how to apply the flouride protection. Once again, they started hemorrhaging money. They had to change their policy ; they accept everyone, but self-pay patients, who qualify for a discount, have to have half the money up front. This sounds cruel, but I know of many cases where people would get their dental work, agree to make payments, and then not pay a red cent. (Sorry if this is not "PC"). In one glaring example, a patient I referred myself with a real sob story and her husband received $12,000 of work, including dentures (probably $24,000 in real price) and would not pay ANYTHING. Lest anyone think this is unusual- in any clinic that serves the underserved, you're lucky if you get 20% of your accounts receivable. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. The problem is even worse in the dental clinics.

I'm not justifying anything. I am upset over the treatment that Ross has gotten, etc. Since many people are out for only themselves, the problem will only get worse if folks don't start working together. A few bad apples have spoiled the whole bunch for the rest of us. The health care system worked for the country the way it used to exist; medicine was a higher calling, etc.
These bad apples- including those of my peers ripping off the system, people who sue at the drop of a hat, those who feel "entitled" and feel they should have access to the best of the best at all times, and those who "work" the system-have caused medical costs to escalate beyond belief. No one even wants to go to medical school any more, and I don't blame them. I used to really love my job. I mean, how great was it that people entrusted me with their health? I was given the gift of healing and the intellect to pursue it by God, and I felt humbled and privileged to share it. Now, I spend half my time on the horn with patients complaining about the bill or their meds, or with insurance companies, Medicare/Medicaid, or buried under a stack of paperwork. I order too many tests for CYA reasons. I have good clinical accumen and skills, but that would never stand up in court. And I graduated from medical school in 1989 and I am STILL paying off my debt, probably close to $400,000 by the time I finish, since I can't pay more than $2000/month toward the loans and I can't write any of it off.

The system is broken, and no one tells us how to fix it. I don't know myself. If we go to universal health care, how will I ever pay back my loans? I might as well smear dirt on my face and hang out in the street and beg, along with my family.

OK, done with the tirade.

Wound up in Idaho,
-Laura

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all blink things back to proper order? I don't know what the answers are either. Seems your screwed on both sides of the fence, giving and receiving.

When I had endocarditis and was airlifted to St George's Hospital, Tooting, London one of the 'tests' I was given was to have my teeth and mouth examined by a dentist to check that he cause wasn't in my mouth. The nursing staff on the ward told me that was standard practice there for endocarditis patients. It is a very large teaching hospital so they had a dental school there.

Locally we have a dental department and I have to have checks there on a regular basis as should I need my teeth cleaned they will have to do it due to me needing intravenous antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back