dl_mooney is back

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dl_mooney

Tonight will be 6 weeks. Still having some chest discomfort, but guess thats to be expected.Last large drain hole is scabbed over.Will continue Sternal precautions for awhile longer. How can one find out if its healed? Other than a x-ray?Can sometimes hear valve.Very pleased with my Surgeons & the Hospital.Did early in my recovery have some Urinary problems due to Sleeping medicine Did stop that & doing ok now,but was very stressful at that time.

Well, it sounds like you are healing well. I am only 2 weeks post-op but I suppose the discomfort will take some time. The paperwork I received from the hospital says it takes 6-8 weeks for the sternum to heal, so you may have a few more weeks to go. What type of valve did you get? I got a St. Jude Mechanical and I do hear it from time to time. Sometimes the person sitting next to me can hear it and of course my 5 year old boy loves to tell me how he hears my heart. I hope you are sleeping better and itsounds like you will continue to progress nicely.

Take care,
Lori

Your sternum is going be uncomfortable for a good while yet. 6 weeks is the minimum healing period, but around 3 months for it to be pretty solid.

Lorimacm. The valve I have is a OnX (Mitral Valve).Went today to have to a Coumidin Clinic INR was 2.2 so was pleased, Surgeon wants level 2-3. Have to return Oct 1.Thanks for writing.

I was a good 6 months before my bones settled down. Mainly, my ribs an inch or so from my spine. It can take a while. I found that when I started doing something that bothered my bones, I'd stop doing it right away, If I pushed it I would pay later on.
Take your time, why hurry?

Good luck with your continued recovery, I hope all goes well for you.

Rob

The *usual* INR recommendation for Mechanical Mitral Valves is 2.5 to 3.5

Yes, the On-X has a lower probability of clot formation, BUT, until the studies are complete, most Surgeons stick by the old recommendations.

At 2.2 you don't have much 'headroom' on the low side and most of us consider anything under 4.0 to be relatively safe.

A range of 2.5 to 3.5 puts you right in the center of the "safe zone".

Latest posts

Back