dl mooney MVR update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dl_mooney

I'm subbing for my dad who ended up having MVR surgery yesterday after all. Nurse called early yesterday and told him that surgery was on for 12 noon. He got to the hospital around 9:30, but didn't go in for surgery until 1:30 p.m. After an hour, the nurse told us that they might be able to fix the valve, but another hour and a half later, she came back and told us that it would be replaced with the OnX valve that my dad wanted. He came out of surgery around 6:30 p.m. only to be taken back to the OR due to bleeding. The doctor sutured and clipped him up -- he thought my dad was taking blood thinners, but my dad had stopped them a week prior to surgery. We think he may have needed to stop them two weeks before surgery.

Anyway, after two additional hours in the OR, he was transported back to the CCU and my mom and I got to see him. He looked pale (but he always looks pale). This morning, I returned to the hospital and the breathing tube had been removed and he was talking a little. By 6:00 pm, he had walked a little bit for the physical therapists, and had something to eat (jello) and drink (lemon-lime soda). He also was given a breathing treatment. The hospital staff is also making him breathe into a device so he can expand his lungs. Dad says it's supposed to prevent pneumonia. He was resting quietly when I left and will hopefully get a good night's sleep tonight.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for letting us know that your father made it through replacement ok. We'll be looking forward to the next update that says he's made it home.:)

Best wishes to your Dad. Thanks for posting and letting us know he is now on the mend. Please send him all our best wishes he has no more bumps in the road and has a great recovery.

Glad to hear he's out of surgery. We all remember that dratted breathing thingy. He'll be using that for a couple-three weeks, several times per day. It feels like such hard work!

And don't worry, a week off the anticoagulants should have been enough. I dunno about plavix and such, but coumadin is out of your system in 3 days.

Please give him our best.

Give my best to your dad. Glad to hear he is well on the road to recovery. Now it's just rest, breath, eat and repeat the process. That darn spirometer was the bane of my existence. But it helps, truly it does. God Bless

My dad is being moved out of CCU and onto the 4th floor. He is walking and has most of his tubes removed. Thank you to everyone for all the great thoughts. I'm printing them out and will take them to the hospital this evening. I know he will enjoy reading them.

Possibly will be released Saturday. I just hope they don't release him before he's ready. I guess I have to trust the doctors and nurses to do their job. (Very difficult.)

My dad's physician also said that his heart was strong, and it started up after surgery without a problem.

It's great to read this update. Please extend my best wishes when you visit with your dad tonight.:)
Mary

I think I didn't make tonight's edition, but wish your dad well. The idea of coming home in 3 days is scary, but it worked out well for me.
You may find your dad is not so pale in the future--a little-known benefit of valve replacement.;)
It's good of you to post here--hope to see your dad posting soon.

Well, he's not out of the hospital yet, but we've heard that he might get to come home on Saturday (makes me nervous as that is only five days in the hosp). I'm taking him some flowers, sugar free candy and some magazines, so if he has to stay longer he won't have to watch daytime TV all day.

My dad was released a while ago and he is recuperating at home. He's trying to exercise by walking laps around the living room/kitchen area. He noticed that his blood pressure has been low in the morning, so he stopped taking his high blood pressure medication -- the cardiologist said that was fine. His echo came out fine, but it took the doctor three times to get a good one.

Lastly, he hasn't been able to sleep well since the surgery and the doctor prescribed Ambien - this caused difficulty with urination -- last night he went without the pill and was able to sleep a little. He's just concerned about everything getting back to proper working order. Any advice?

Latest posts

Back