Dizziness and Eyesite Problems

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizziness and Eyesite Problems

• Yes all the time

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Yes sometimes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
M

martinandamanda

Hi all

Just interested to know if post surgery dizziness is related to eyesite problems? Martin has bad eyesite and has glasses to correct it. He can not see without them. He has asked me to find out if this could be related so here I go with a poll for you. Its my first and I hope I have done it correctly.

Amanda

Hello,

Hello,

I just had OHS this past Jauary and had no problems with my eyes at all. I was reading the next day. This was very surprising to me because about 20 years ago, I had kidney surgery and I could not read for almost a month. My vision would get really blurry when I tried to read. I also wear glasses and I am practically blind without them.

Eyes

Eyes

I had visual distubances for years. Three to five minutes of double or uneven vision.......like one eye seeing the picture at a more elevated level than the other. I started taking an aspirin a day and most of it went away but all of that stopped after my valve replacement. I had one episode after and I found out that week my INR was 1.5 so I guess that was the reason.

I was quite a bit dizzy post op and my meds had to be adjusted. I didn't notice I had an trouble reading but I do know it can take four to six weeks to get over general anethesia after a big procedure and that can affect all systems. Pain meds can affect your ability to read as well. I bet the problem resolves within a few weeks.

Dick wears glasses for distance- before and after surgery. Never had any problems- could it be related to medications?

My wife has been an optometrist for the past 20 years and has found that to the last one, every OHS patient she has seen pre and post surgery had some subtle changes to their prescription during the first 4 months or so afterwards. I knew I wasn't going to be one of them! (By the way, my new glasses are just great :rolleyes: )

This piqued my intrest as Andrew has had complaints of blurry vision and double vision at times. Before his last valve replacement he was evaluated by a opthamologist who said it was nothing he could find/explain but did blame it on something Andrew did to himself. He told me not to bother to take him to a nuerologist.

He ended up needing to have his valve replaced a few months later.

Now he has complained of blurry vision and headaches and he checked out okay at the pediatricians but he would like us to do a cat scan just to make sure nothing is going on. He has not complained since last week of the change in vision.

Never have your eyes checked a few months after surgery. I made the mistake of doing that..at a Lenscrafters in the mall.Even tho, I told him I had just had OHS..His script and my glasses ($300.00) was a waste of money. never could see good with them....(reading)...waited a year and went to a good eye doctor..They were not that great either..so, I am going to have to make an appointment soon..with an opthamologist.I can see a bird in a tree across the road..but cannot read a page without getting blurry vision.Computer is O.K...They also water a lot....but, I am age 65...:( Bonnie

Eye trouble

Eye trouble

I couldn't read very well after my OHS. Things were very blurry and got worse. Since the surgery was in the winter, I wasn't aware of how sensitive my eyes were becoming to the light until it got closer to spring. I was wearing two sets of sunglasses outside and eventually wore a pair in the house as well. Finally the Doc took me off amiodorone and over the course of the summer the problem slowly resolved. Digoxin also affects my eyes; I see red and green stripes when the dose gets too high. I don't go far without my trusty trifocals. Eye troubles are a good indicator (for me) that I may be overmedicated

Latest posts

Back