Different types of BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

healthandhope

hi everyone. Are there different types of BAV? I asked my cardiologist this and he said no, but I swear I've seen some different descriptions of fused leaflets, etc. If there are different types might they be handled differently, potentially, in surgery? And a related question.. Which tests are most accurate for diagnosing BAV? I've had echos over the past 10 yrs and only learned this summer about BAV. thanks, I know most of you have done alot of research on this and other topics, as well as lived it.

I don't know about different types of BAV. I personally had a bicuspid aortic valve (2 leaflets they think since the calcification on removal was pretty big and they were not totally sure). Anyway, I think likely the most accurate look that can be taken of your heart valves is through a TEE or TOE. It involves putting a small scope down your throat (you are of course on happy juice at the time) and getting pictures of your valves in motion. Has your cardiologist suggested it is time for replacement? Or are you still waiting? I'm sure others will come on here with their opinions and personal experiences. Good Luck

I'm not an expert and really only "know" a little about this disorder. There seems to be much that is yet unknown about people who are diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve. And, as may also be true with all congenital disorders, there are different degrees and/or varieties of bicuspid disease. There can be one or two or even four cusps from birth on, or any two of three apparently normal cusps can fuse together later in a person's life from various causes and doctors may or may not consider this occurence to be a "true" bicuspid -- and yet there is so much more to learn. Some people with bicuspid valves may develop aneurysms, and some are also born with other related issues such as a coarctation of the aorta. Some issues within the heart are so severe they may need surgically addressed early in life and sometimes a person can live to a ripe old age and never even know they had any heart disorder. And then if you research Marfans or Turners Syndromes, it can all become mind-numbing. It goes on and on.

And then sometimes there are other members within a family who also have a bicuspid valve; and yet sometimes there may only be one known bicuspid valve within a family.

Those few details are probably just scratching the surface.

Be healthy and have hope. Best wishes :)

It always amazes me the difference in answers people get regarding any health issue from the medical profession. Some insist BAV is not hereditary, some insist it is. One persons surgeon will recommend a tissue valve while their cardiologist recommends mechanical. For the next person, the exact opposit is true.

One thing I have learned over the years is that the answer you get sometime's depends on the way you phrase the question.

Are there many different types of BAV? No.
Does BAV present in many different ways? Yes.

You want the same information. The person hearing the question goes clinical on you and answers exactly what they were asked, not necessarily what you really want to know.

So his answer is correct. BAV is BAV is BAV. They don't call one "Partially Fused BAV", they just call it BAV. They don't call another "True BAV", they just call it BAV. But, does it present in many different ways? Yes. Some folks (myself, for example) are stenotic from birth while others never are. Some have severe murmurs in infancy, some don't until much older, and some never do. Treatment is pretty much the same across the board. As long as it is functioning within an acceptable range of normal - leave it alone. Once that changes out of an acceptable range - time to repair or replace (this choice can be driven by presentation).

I just had a trans-espochageal echo done on Tuesday and a heart catherization.
The TEE is the way to go. Both of these procedures were easy due to sedation have no fear.
I get full results on 12/18. Good news was.. no coronary blockages at all. AVR and AR repair early in the New Year. My surgery date is now known-3/18/13 @
the HUP in Philly.
Best of Luck.

Thanks caligirl. Great link. Neat pictures. Wish I knew what they took out of me in February :)

That is really a super link caligirl. Thank you so much! It was something like this that raised the question in my mind to begin with - about the possibility of different BAV types - but the detail in this article is so extensive. A keeper for sure - thank you for posting.

Latest posts

Back