Did u experience "heart hickups" PAC/PVC's prior to surgery? afterwards?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

Hi you wonderful people. I am doing good. I have 6 more days and I am hanging on ;)

I have been troubled with what I call "heart hickups" or PVC/PAC's for the past 6 months. I have tried beta-blockers, even had Cardiac Ablation done (fixed PSVTachycardia) but I can't get rid of these "hickups".

Is this part of the "valve-is-not-working" process or is it something that I'll have post-op as well?:eek:

Missed beats, double beats, flutters, hiccoughs etc are all occasional events in healthy normal hearts. In a poorly heart maybe more so. Are you just noticing these happenings, as for obvious reasons you are very cardiac focussed at the moment? Don't dwell on them would be my advice.

This is affected by the electrical current running through your heart. I can't say that it won't go away, but it's most likely to still be present.

PAC's / PVC's are the "Common Cold of Cardiology" and are generally considered to be benign. You can tell by the YAWN on the face of the Cardio when he diagnoses this issue.

That said, I'm a bit surprised your treatments haven't been successful in controlling them. You may want to talk with an ElectroPhysiologist (Cardiologist who specializes in the Electrical Functions of the Heart), if for nothing more than to get a better understanding of how the heart's electrical system works and what 'sets it off'.

MANY of us experienced short term arrhythmias following surgery, especially Atrial Fibrilation, until the heart 'got over' being 'messed with'. Do a SEARCH for "A-Fib" or the full spelling and you can find many posts on that issue!

Several of us have found that Sotalol (the generic form of BetaPace) did a good job of controlling A-Fib. Toprol and other Beta Blockers are "usually" effective at controlling PAC's and PVC's.

Another option (which can be done surgically 'while they are in there') is the MAZE Procedure where the surgeon make shallow incisions across the face of the heart to 'disrupt' the path of random electrical impulses. It usually takes several weeks to a few months to become fully effective. You may want to discuss this with your Cardiologist AND Surgeon. Not all surgeons are experienced in doing the MAZE Procedure.

Some Doctors like to prescribe AMIODARONE which is the Sledge Hammer of Anti-arrhythmic Medications. The Down Side is that it can have a Laundry List of Adverse Effects (Do a SEARCH for Amiodarone to read the numerous discussions of this drug) with a Long Half Life which means that it can literally take MONTHS to be fully discharged from your body after discontinuation. These are the reasons that even the manufacturer(s) recommend this as the medication of LAST RESORT.

Hope you and your Doc's are able to find a workable solution!

'AL Capshaw'

I didn't have too many before my surgery, but had a lot of them for several months after. I believe they are pretty common as your heart is reshaping (if you have chamber enlargement).

Thank you all. I went to a EP Spesialist in Nov. 2007 who did Ablation. I had PSVT-attacks. He was able to ablate 1 AV node, but I still have 2 left that he can't do anything about - unless they put in a pacemaker but that is a NO NO.

The "arrthytmia" is benign, but very irritating. I'll speak to my Cardio and Surgeon about the "Maze" procedure and maybe they can fix it! That would be great.

:)

MikeHeim said:
I didn't have too many before my surgery, but had a lot of them for several months after. I believe they are pretty common as your heart is reshaping (if you have chamber enlargement).

I get about 18 of them per minute!

18 per minute is rather a lot. probably annoying, too, if you feel them. Just be aware, you may come out of MVR and Maze surgery needing a pacemaker, no matter how much you don't want one. It's not a big deal, except you may need to purchase new lingerie which accomodates it better- strap placement, etc. I had both MVR and a maze. The surgery (one? the other? both?) resulted in scar tissue which caused complete heart block. Had to get a pacemaker just to get out of ICU.
I now have a defibrillator, because I toss out pvcs which run into v-tach from time to time. Usually they fix themselves, but the defib is for the one time they don't--and hopefully to keep me from crashing the car when that happens. :D The pvcs are caused by scar tissue, too, according to my cardios.
The defibrillator is about 1/3 larger than the pacemaker, and heavier, about like a cell phone, but 3 months out from replacement, I'm pretty used to the change. Like valve replacement, pacemakers/defibs sure beat the alternative!

Never noticed anything prior to surgery but post surgery (with the clicking) i have a regular 'irregular' beat when resting.

When under exercise conditions i have a regular tick tick tick.

At rest i have tick tick pause tick tick tick pause tick pause tick tick pause.

I questioned the cardio about it and he said its probably been like that all my life but i only noticed it when i had the mechanical tick tick to hear it.

Its never uncomfortable, just hard to relax when you notice it and its not regular.

Regards.

I never experienced PVCs before surgery. After surgery I had a couple bouts that lasted for a few days and up to a week. They've gone away though and I haven't had one for a couple weeks now. I hope it stays that way.

Good luck!
Brian

Magic8Ball said:
Never noticed anything prior to surgery but post surgery (with the clicking) i have a regular 'irregular' beat when resting.

When under exercise conditions i have a regular tick tick tick.

At rest i have tick tick pause tick tick tick pause tick pause tick tick pause.

I questioned the cardio about it and he said its probably been like that all my life but i only noticed it when i had the mechanical tick tick to hear it.

Its never uncomfortable, just hard to relax when you notice it and its not regular.

Regards.

A "regularly irregular heartbeat" is a classic symptom of PAC's and/or PVC's, especially when your heart is at "idle". Wearing a Holter Monitor for 24 hours 'usually' will catch them for a proper diagnosis.

'AL Capshaw'

Smiley2000 said:
Thank you all. I went to a EP Spesialist in Nov. 2007 who did Ablation. I had PSVT-attacks. He was able to ablate 1 AV node, but I still have 2 left that he can't do anything about - unless they put in a pacemaker but that is a NO NO.

The "arrthytmia" is benign, but very irritating. I'll speak to my Cardio and Surgeon about the "Maze" procedure and maybe they can fix it! That would be great.

:)

Did your EP also check your Electrolytes?

Several of our members have commented that they were given IV Magnesium or Potassium Tablets. Some continue with daily supplements to help maintain heart regularity. Another topic for your Cardio / EP / Surgeon.

Good Luck getting your heartbeat stabilized.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi. I had a lot of PVC's before surgery and after as well. I still have them. I have good days and worse days for them, I think related to whether I have been getting the right rest/exercise/hydration that we all need. Because I had mitral regurg for so long I have an enlarged left atrium which contributes.

Finally, 1+ years out of surgery, the PVC's are backing off a bit. Or, maybe I'm just not paying as much attention to them. I really do think they're really becoming less frequent.

Peace,
Ruth

Latest posts

Back