Dental Extractions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevanndo

My 11-year old daughter has an On-X mitral valve replacment. Due to the fact that (as her brothers say) her mouth is an orthodontic nightmare, she is due to have six teeth extracted in a few months to prepare for future orthodontic treatment. I am feeling a great deal of fear and trepidation over this given the fact that when she lost a baby tooth last year, she bled so much the THIRD night after it came out that her bed looked like a crime scene. I would be tempted to leave her teeth as they are except for the fact that the orthodontist says that her lower jaw structure/alignment will most likely be affected if we don't pursue treatment. I trust this orthodontist implicitly as he did a superb job on the teeth of three of our other children. Even though a very experienced oral surgeon would be doing the extractions, I am still very nervous about the whole thing. Has anyone had experience with a large number of extractions, and do you have any recommendations? I should mention that in addition to my worries about excessive bleeding, I'm also concerned about possible bacterial infections/endocarditis.

I can't answer your question about bleeding but you should certainly take that up with the oral surgeon well in advance. As far as bacterial infections and endocardititis are concerned, your daughter should surely be given antibiotic prophylaxsis for the procedure.

I agree with Paleogirl that the oral surgeon is fully aware of your daughter being on warfarin and maybe get her cardio involved. I have had multiple teeth extracted and have had no excess bleeding.....but if she had bleeding after loosing a baby tooth her dental work may need special handling.

I cannot offer advice on the extractions but as a mom and grandmother I just want you to know that I'll be sending positive thoughts your way. I'm sure she will be under the best of care.

I have been on coumidin for 10 yrs+. I am currently going thru LOTS of extractions. I take 2000 mg antibiotic 1 hr before extractions. I tend to bleed for 3-4 days. Looks like more than it really is due to blood mixing with saliva. My next appointment will be for 6 extractions at once. I will follow the same pattern. I am however, going to have a visit with my doc to see if I should be on prolonged antibiotics afterwards. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Did any of you go off warfarin and go on lovenox prior to your extractions? I know there is debate about whether that is necessary or not.

For me the answer is no.....but I've had no more than two extractions in one sitting and they where teeth that easily came out. I've never used lovenox but if her dental surgeon and cardio think it is best it is not a very big deal.......from what I've heard..

Latest posts

Back