Delurking Finally

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim B

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this board for a long time and have appreciated the great wealth of knowledge here. Thanks to some coaxing from Ross in another thread, I've decided to finally introduce myself.

At age 6, I was diagnosed with AS and AI due to a bicuspid aortic valve and knew I would someday need an AVR. I am now 44 years old and I think it is time for surgery. My main symptom is fatigue, but I have noticed some SOB when climbing stairs.

A couple of years ago I started having brief episodes of what I think is SVT, then almost a year ago today I developed atrial flutter, then fibrillation. A right-sided ablation for the flutter and a cardioversion seem to have cured both the AFL and A-fib. However, I still have occasional bouts of SVT that I can stop with carotid sinus massage. Next month I have a consultation with Dr. William Ryan. Most likely he will tell me it is time for AVR.

That's my story, and I'm sure I'll have more to say later. Thanks to everyone for providing and participating in this site. I'm very grateful to have found this excellent resource.

Welcome aboard Kim!

You made the right decision to step out of the woodwork (or as you say de-lurk) and come into our little forum. The whole process is difficult. We all originally deny the need for surgery, but eventually we each realize the need for surgery and later we look back and see how symptomatic we actually were before surgery.

Good luck with your appointment.
Take care,
John

Hi Kim,
De-Lurking is a therapeutic step in the right direction.
I lived in denial for a very long time, and had no idea that a group like this could exist.
Hopefully you won't be shy, we've heard it all. ;) :)

I hope all goes well for you. It is always important to be informed & knowledgable of your health situation. Coming out of the woodwork is a very good step.
picture.php
Good luck & God Bless

Glad to see you came out of hiding Kim.

I'm curious, how did you decide upon Dr. Ryan?

He's one of the Best of the Best from what I read.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Kim, welcome to this wonderful site.

I also get lots of SVT, VT, ...I have read about doing carotid massage to stop arrhythmia. Can you explain what you do (what type of pressure you apply, for how long, etc)

Thanks. 8)

Welcome Kim if you've been lurking for a while then you already know that this is a great group of friends a huge family always there for you, don't be shy ask away.

About time! I thought you might be from the CIA and were watching me and all my perverted thoughts. :D

hi kim,
welcome to this wonderful place; we're glad you decided to come in.
as you can already see, everyone here is so friendly, informative, supportive and "gets it".
it's nice to have all that and "hand holding" while going through difficult times.
please keep us up to date on how you are doing.
stay well,
sylvia

AL Capshaw - I decided to consult with Dr. Ryan based on what I have read here from his patients and what I had learned about him through my own research. Possibly I will need a Maze procedure and/or aortic root replacement. My current cardiologist said my aortic root is not enlarged, but the doctor who performed my TEE in 2002 said I had moderate root dilation. I think Dr. Ryan is the logical choice for me since he has extensive experience in doing complex surgeries, dealing with bicuspid valves and their associated connective tissue disorders, and treating arrythmias.

Jacqui - First I must warn you that some medical professionals advise against using the carotid massage technique because it can cause a drastic drop in blood pressure or break loose a clot that may be in the artery. That said, my cardiologist is the one who told me how to do it and it usually works quickly. I find the place in the side of my neck where I can feel my pulse, and gently press around that area a few times. The Dr. told me to vigorously massage the area, but I've had better results with just pushing in a few times. This only works if I'm sitting or lying down. Here's the URL to an article that explains it in better detail:
<http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g2601/is_0002/ai_2601000269/>

Ross - I have not divulged my occupation, so you cannot be sure I'm not with the CIA. Oh, and I have been watching you! ;)

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Latest posts

Back