Day- or nighttime testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all, haven't been here in a while.

I'm having trouble getting a good sample for my home tests. So much so that I sometimes use 2-3 fingers and waste a strip or two. I just can't get enough blood despite doing the common tricks like letting my arm dangle, soaking the finger in warm water, etc. I am wondering if part of the problem is I test before heading off to work.

Is there a preference here for morning vs. night teting? And am I right in thinking that since it takes a few days for the INR number to change, 10 hours time should make a difference right? I will likely ask my doc this question too.

Thanks,
Jim

Anytime of day is OK.....just be consistent., within reason. It is not necessary to stay on an exact time but try to take the pill at about the same time each day...or nite. You might try setting your lancing device deeper or get a bigger lancet. Also try using the side of your finger where the skin might not be so tuff.

Thanks, Dick. Yes, I take my dose at the same time each morning. I did read that testing shortly after you wake can be challenging when getting a sample. Especially on cold winter mornings like we have in Boston, And I agree that I want to be consistent. I think I have been making the mistake of testing in the center of the fingertip. I'll see if I can do better tomorrow morning.

I also find it difficult to get a good sample first thing in the morning, especially during the winter months.
For me, the most important point is to test prior to you taking your Coumadin dose for that day. This allows you to make adjustments to your dose immediately that day, and not have to wait for the next day to adjust.

I usually test in the morning, but now after I get up, have my coffee, and move around for a while.
I have found that warming my hands under some warm water helps, and also you can use those little hand warmer pacs that you can buy in any of the sporting goods stores.
The ones that you open, shake them, and they give off heat. They are not expensvie, and can be used on those real cold mornings.

Happy Testing,
Rob

Don't test in the morning in Boston, too cold. Wait till you and your house warm up.

The water you are soaking your hand in is too cold. I use water that is hot as I can handle it and let my had soak for a couple of minutes. Get your meter and supplies ready before you soak.

Once your hand is warm, dry and hold it down as you put in your strip, bring it up to the table when it is time to stick.

Your "sticker" may not go deep enough or be big enough. I took the head off mine and just jab the thing in the full 1/4".

Don't get nervous, if you don't have enough blood stick again, don't waste a strip. My meter gives you 180 seconds, which is time for at least 3 sticks.

I too really struggled at first with too little blood and wasted a LOT of strips. Not anymore, although I did waste one a few weeks ago. First one in ages.

I did have my pharmacy order the largest gauge 'sticker' they could find. Monolet Original Gauge Lancets for comfortable, consistently ample blood sampling. http://www.amazon.com/Monolet-Original-Comfortable-Consistently-Sampling/dp/B000GG5P76

Running almost too hot water over the finger helps, as does a rubber band around the base of the finger during the strip heating time.

I had more trouble when we lived in Iowa. Even though the house was heated (obviously), I could tell some mornings by the way my hands felt that there was no way I would get much blood. We're back in Texas.

Testing in the evening shouldn't make much difference IMHO.

These are good tips, thanks. Yes, this Boston winter in particular is ridiculous. I think I could stand to soak my finger for longer and at a hotter temp. I've never tried the rubber band technique. I question if my lancets are deep enough too. It's so frustrating wasting a strip and having to start all over. Thanks!

Hi

steprightup;n853083 said:
... I question if my lancets are deep enough too. It's so frustrating wasting a strip and having to start all over. Thanks!

personally I tried all the settings (before I moved to the quick band wrap) and found that deeper lances just make my finger hurt longer (sometimes like I had a splinter or something for a few days). Don't forget to lance the side not the fingertip ... eventually you'll loose nerves there (ask diabetics about this, they lance more frequently than us).

I hate wasting strips

My blood draw will vary a bit based on (a) which finger and (b) how hard I press down the lancet before hitting the button. The skin on some fingers can be a bit thicker than others, but I found that the side of my ring finger is a bit softer and works great. I apply a moderate amount of pressure before pricking my finger and I usually get a good drop every time. If you're dehydrated, that may impact things too I suspect (I know if can make it harder to find a vein when doing a blood draw at the clinic...
Tony

My blood draw will vary a bit based on (a) which finger and (b) how hard I press down the lancet before hitting the button. The skin on some fingers can be a bit thicker than others, but I found that the side of my ring finger is a bit softer and works great. I apply a moderate amount of pressure before pricking my finger and I usually get a good drop every time. If you're dehydrated, that may impact things too I suspect (I know if can make it harder to find a vein when doing a blood draw at the clinic...
Tony

Latest posts

Back