date with destiny

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susiesknight

I joined this forum a little while ago and have been truly blessed by all the discussions, info, encouragement, and mostly validation for everything a person experiences when they are told about needing OHS. I haven't told "my story" so here goes: I have acongenital bicuspid aortic valve and thoratic anueryism(dilation). I have known, as apparently many of you, about the anueryism since I was 45 due to a so-called innocent heart murmur. Hence, I had echos every few years but no real symptoms. My last echo indicated that the valve was .9cm and the dilation 4.5 or 4.3 according depending upon local or UAB echo data. Had a nuclear stress test, angiogram, and CT which all verified the need for surgery(Good part was that all other bllood vessels are clean) Local cardio and surgeon wanted me to go mechanical valve but referred me to UAB since I desired minimally invasive surgery and a tissue valve. I am now scheduled for surgery on March 11th at 8:00 am. Dr. McGiffin performs over 600 heart surgeries a year which definitely calmed any fears I had about picking a surgeon. He uses the medtronics mosaic valve which I don't know much about so would appreciate any info. Depending on what he sees during the surgery, I may not need the aorta repaired. Does ones bp go up due to this valve defect? I am on no meds although I was told to take cholesterol meds based on a LDL of 127(other numbers for cholesterol are good)and because I am now classified as having "heart disease". . I took a statin drug briefly and quit since I had muscle pains. I am using super shots and diet restrictions. Have any of you accomplished lowering the LDL in some way? I am truly looking forward to having a new valve so I can get back to a very active life, as I see in your testamonials. Thanks for addressing any of my questions.

Hi!
I'm glad you decided to join us and share your story. You have picked a top notch facility and a top notch surgeon to handle your valve and aorta situation . . . good going!:)
I've put you on our surgery calendar, so you're official.;)
I bet others will soon be along to help with your questions.

Susie,
I have heard Dr. McGiffin was a great doctor. In fact I was going to use him for my first AVR but decided to have the surgery at EAMC. I didn't know UAB did minimally invasive surgery. Please tell me more about this as I am having my second AVR next week at UAB. My first valve was a bovine tissue valve and only functioned correctly for a few months. I, too wanted min' invasive surgery so I checked around and could not find a facility/surgeon that was doing this with AVR at that time (1 yr ago). It was limited to mitral valve replacements as the aortic valve is more difficult to access.

Back