Curves for Women??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dee

Have any of you ladies out there used the 'Curves for Women' program as part of your rehab?? I just finished my cardiac rehab program at the hospital and thought I would be really good about doing it on my own, but I'm finding out it's hard to get motivated! :rolleyes:

It sure would be nice to get a full workout in 30 minutes. I'm just not sure what kind of things they do there and if I would be limited because of my still healing sternum. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

~DeeDee~

Curves for Women

Curves for Women

Hi Dee -

"Have any of you ladies out there used the 'Curves for Women' program as part of your rehab??"

OK, I'm not a lady...but I'm WAAAAAY in touch w/ my feminine side. ;-) Just kiddin'.

I have an exercise-averse relative that gave it high marks. (Not sure if that's a good or a bad reflection on the program!) But you can read about some first-hand experience at:

http://www.epinions.com/Curves_For_Women/display_~reviews

Not sure you'll find any comments from cardiac rehabbers per se, but perhaps it will give you a better feel for what you might expect if you join.

Dee, my mom had her aortic valve replaced Feb. 2003 and she started going back to Curves about 6 months later and still goes to this day. She swears by it. I don't know if she checked with her cardio first. But knowing her she probably didn't bother to ask him. She is doing fine and it seemed to help her get back into the swing of things. I think the best thing is to ask a medical professional first and then go for it.
Lori

Thanks LoriSue,

I think I will ask my cardio about it next time I see him. I'm only 4 mths post op so I don't know if he'll want me to wait a couple of months or not. But it's always better to ask I guess.

Where in Washington do you live?? My mom lives up there and we love to go visit her!! It's so beautiful! She lives in the San Juan Islands, Anacortes. We're looking forward to another wonderful vacation up there this summer!! :p They just recently bought a boat so now we can tour the islands! Our kids can't wait!

DeeDee:)

Hi DeeDee,
I live about 15 minutes south of the state capital, Olympia. I know you guys will enjoy touring the islands. It is definitely beautiful here. The climate is temperate and is a far cry from the cold of the midwest which is where I moved from 10 years ago. I also don't miss the heat and humidity of the Chicago summers.
How long do you guys get to spend up here when you come visit?
The summers are great. Today isn't bad either, about 55 and no rain so far. It is actually rather pleasant today. I noticed you are from Colorado, I love it there. I am a Rocky Mountain fan. I miss taking vacations there in the summer and riding horses in the mountains. We have the Cascades but it just isn't the same.
Take care and make sure to ask your cardio about Curves. My mom seems really pleased with their program.
Lori

Hi Lori,

We usually drive out there, so we take about 10 days or so total. We're not sure if it's going to be in July or Aug. this year, but we can't wait!

We live right in the heart of the Rocky Mtns. We are between Vail and Aspen. Glenwood Springs is the name of the town, and it's known for the world's largest natural hot springs pool. We love it here too!! Actually it's kinda hard to leave here in the summer because it's so beautiful!!

Will you be coming to the reunion this fall?? If so, it'll be really nice to meet you!

DeeDee :)

DeeDee,
Yes, I have been considering the reunion. I just became a member recently but have received so much support and information from the other members that I would really enjoy meeting everyone and letting them know in person how much this has all meant to me.
I know it would be a great time. I have no trouble finding the time to get away for a weekend but my other half may find it difficult. He owns his own business and it can be rather demanding at times. I however, teach college and am pretty good about organizing my schedule to fit around what I need.
I had applied to graduate school for the fall but the way I have been feeling I don't think I will be able to do graduate work unless I either start feeling better or get fixed. I will have another echo on Tuesday which is really the first step in the process to a better quality of life for me. The airfare from Portland Oregon to Denver is usually cheap so that shouldn't be a problem. As soon as we have our complete wedding costs figured out (we are getting married June 19) I should know for sure whether I can afford to come to Colorado. In the next month or so I should know for sure.
I seem to recall something in my memory banks about visiting Glenwood springs when I was younger. My parents and I used travel in the summer and the Rockies were a favorite destination for us.
Take Care,
Lori

Did not use Curves as part of my rehab. Had a two year old to take care of and chase around. My surgeon actually said I did not need it. He was correct. Certain I could not have done both. No time to sleep when you have a little one.

I enjoy Curves 3-4 times a week now and really see those inches melt away!

Curves is low resistance...... few of the upper body machines may be a bit rough on the chest until your sternum is healed.

It's been almost 5 years for me now. Don't really think of that area as being surgically munipulated any longer.:)

I loved going to Curves, it was easy to get to and I made it part of my daily routine. Actually going there helped me to get to the point I am now. I noticed my heart rate getting very high. At that point I told my DR. I had to stop going because of my aortic valve being bad and the aortic aneurysm. I am hoping I can go back after my surgery is done and I am recuperated.
Kathy H

Latest posts

Back