CRM-mom's surgery over and I'm home now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRM-Mom

Hi to all,
I had my AVR surgery on May 6th and got home on Mother's day (May 11th). It went well and I was off the respirator in about 1 1/2 hours post surgery. My surgery was at Mercy Heart Center in Coon Rapids, MN and my surgeon was Dr. Brian Tell. He did an awesome job. The hospital staff was wonderful all the time and very good to me.

I had low blood pressure issues in the hospital and have been continuing to struggle with them as meds are changing but the top number now stays above 100. It was in the 80s and I was dizzy and seeing flashing things. I am also struggling with edema - swelling in the feet, ankles and lower legs. I have been into the doctor for one thing or another almost every day this week and I had NO idea how much I'd be in and out of the dr.office for things. I had cardiac rehab orientation today and will start that 3 days a week next week - walking mostly to begin with. I am short of breath. All in all, however, I kept hearing how good I was doing while in the hospital and how good I looked. I feel like everything is coming back slowly and that I should be moving faster --but I don't want to move faster. I realize recovery is going to take lots of time.

I've been sleeping in the recliner and haven't tried my bed yet. I have a higher bed and short legs so I haven't figured out how to get into bed all that well yet. I know it takes time to figure out how to maneuver because the first 2 car rides I hated and now I figured out how to get into and out of the back seat of the car OK. We put a plastic garbage bag on the seat to aid in sliding in to the seat and that is wonderful.

I hope some of you can give me some feedback about low blood pressure and edema.

I am glad the hospital part is over. My doctor made the analogy that I had scaled the mountain and was coming back down the other side with the hardest part done and over with. I do agree and THANK THE LORD FOR HE IS GOOD!

I also have an angel of a husband who is taking care of me at home and I could not make it without him. Bless his heart!

Take care!
Barb (CRM-mom)

Welcome home Barb. Sounds like you had heart surgery to me. Everything you mention is quite normal. The edema will pass with excercise or at least it should in time. The blood pressure, that is something that you and the Doc will have to work on.

Welcome home and to your new life. :)

glad to hear your home and doing well. take things slow and listen to your body, you will have good days and days where you feel a little worse, those I think are generally because you did more than you should have the day before !

I'm glad you are home, Barb and as Ross said, it all sounds normal. Best wishes that each day will be a better one.

YEP, S-L-O-W is pretty typical, at least for those of us over age 50!

Some days are Good and some are Not-so-Good.
As long as you can look back over the WEEK and see progress, you are headed in the right direction.

Cardiac Rehab will help you regain your energy and stamina in a Safe and SLOW manner. That is a GOOD Thing.

For Edema, most Cardiologists prescribe some level of diuretic (typically Lasix or it's Generic form - Furosemide).
I'm wondering if that would have an effect on your BP (i.e. less fluid, lower BP?).

Compression Stockings (usually just knee length) are also helpful. (been there, done that). Ask your Cardiologist about this option.

If all goes well, you should be up and about at 'near normal' levels in a couple of months. You may continue to improve your stamina (SLOWLY) for many more months.

Keep in touch and let us (and especially newcomers) know how you are progressing.

Best Wishes.

So glad to know you're back home Barb! :) Just take things slow & easy --- your worst nightmare is over & you're on your way to having a wonderful life!

Best wishes to you!!!! :):)

Latest posts

Back