Coumadin Long Term

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart Of The Sunrise said:
Can significant changes in the day to day stress level cause your INR levels to go up significantly and in general become unstable.
I have been rock solid 2.4 to 2.7 range for months. Now I have had a low of 1.9 and most recently today 3.4.
No dietary or other changes. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I've found that about every 5th or 6th measurement turns up low or high with no apparent reason. As far as stress affecting INR, it doesn't seem to in me. I've had great variations in stress level (including 2 weeks where I thought I had terminal cancer) which didn't seem to change the INR.

I have been rock solid 2.4 to 2.7 range for months. Now I have had a low of 1.9 and most recently today 3.4.
No dietary or other changes. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It just happens LOL. Seriously, I have also stayed in a "tight" range for months and then get a seemingly strange INR for no apparent reason. I assume, with an Onyx valve, you have a 2-3 range. Do another test in a week and if you are still in mid 3s, hold a dose and recheck in a week. There are a lot of things that can affect INR and I've given up(a long time ago), trying to second guess INR. I "go with the flo" and change dose slightly if I suspect a trend. I have a range of 2.5-3.5 and INRs 2-4 seldom concern me.

I've been on Warfarin since 1991. For me, the real concern was not being at the high end of my range -- it was being at the low end. In 2012, I trusted a meter and didn't test every week, as I should have, and wound up with an INR that was actually around 1.7 or 1.8 according to the hospital that treated me for a minor TIA (they called it a stroke, for me, I was back to my 'normal' in a couple weeks). I started a thread shortly after getting back from the hospital, and was searching for the most accurate meter -- you'll find that thread here.

I personally worry about advice to keep INR between 2.0 and 3.0, because shooting for 2.0 with a meter that reports higher than actual INR can mean that your INR is BELOW 2.0. I am personally a lot more comfortable with an INR reported by my meter that is 2.5 or above.

To make a long story short, I found two meters to be the most accurate (for me) -- the Coag-Sense reported INR a bit lower than the labs -- so if it tells me that my INR is around 2.5, I am comfortable that it is keeping me out of danger range. The other meter that I found to be trustworthy (for me) was the CoaguChek XS -- it sometimes reported just slightly higher than labs.

Warfarin is not to be feared. Proper management, regular testing, and infrequent, minor dosage changes should keep you safely in range. At less than a dime a pill, it's a great way to avoid stroke and to live with your mechanical valve. Many of us here remember paying a dollar or more per pill -- even then, it was a great trade-off.

I can't see how these new drugs that are being developed to replace warfarin (and, presumably, to eliminate the need for testing) will be worthwhile for most of us because we're already living healthy normal lives with warfarin and intelligent management.

Lots of good advice on here already. Coumadin is no biggy for most with somewhat consistent schedules and routines. If you are used to taking multi-vitamin every day and if you are eating healthy-ish, it is generally a non-issue.

I can't see how these new drugs that are being developed to replace warfarin (and, presumably, to eliminate the need for testing) will be worthwhile for most of us because we're already living healthy normal lives with warfarin and intelligent management.

[looks left and right ...] well I reckon they aren't meant to be more worthwhile for us, just worth more (profit) to the corporations and to give a "one size - never quite fits well" that doesn't require monitoring for the folks not competent | confident to do so.

"just my 2c ... please have correct change"

Some great advice on this thread already. I also wanted to say that Coumadin hasn't been an issue for me either. I've been on it for 32 years, since I was 2 years old. I lifted weights and played sports in high school. I set a few track & field records in middle school and high school, and made it to state track my Junior year. I still have some weight lifting records at the high school. As, a young child, I played outside with my friends every day and did everything they did. I was a daredevil, so I usually did more than they did. ;) I haven't lost any of my hair. I've always had fine, thin hair, but so does my mom and my 1 year old daughter, so it's hereditary. It hasn't fallen out over the last 32 years. I hear some people say they are cold on Coumadin. I've been hot-blooded ever since my second valve replacement in 1993. Cold does not bother me at all.
Like everyone else has said, just get yourself in the habit of taking it at the same time every day, and checking your INRs, and live life, and you will be fine. Coumadin is only an issue if you want to think of it that way. Otherwise, it's just a part of our daily routine, like brushing your teeth. Best of luck :)

My INR is back to normal. Looks like the fluctuations were do to the varied contents in the fruit smoothies Karen was making for me to take to work in the morning.
The carrots were cause it to drop (Vitamin K) and then ginger was causing it to increase. Smoothie recipe changed...,back in range.

Latest posts

Back