Coumadin dosage?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archkre

Today I had my INR checked and it was 3.5, my upper limit (2.5-3.5).
I am taking 19 mg of Coumadin per week divided into 5 days of 3 mg and 2 days
of 2mg.
My doctor is out of the town!
What do you suggest me to do?
Thank you

Don't change anything....continue on your schedule.
I am on exactlythe same dose and I don't change anything for an INR of 3.5
There are small daily fluctuations which don't really make any diff at all.
If you continue to rise over the next couple of weeks or so, then you can make a small adjustment (1mg up or down works for me).

Why would you want to do anything, your in range? As Bina suggests, if it continues a trend upwards, then back it down a mg or two over the week, but at this point. Leave it alone.

I would make no change. The 3.5 is on the high side, but still within range. It may be a result of test variance, activity, diet, etc. Retest in a week or so. If it continues on the hi side, and if you are not comforable at the hi end, then drop a 2mg dose and see if the INR comes down to the level you are comfortable with.

If and only if you are measuring a trend should you change your dose. Besides, your INR is still in range and take 0.2 as the measuring error, so your INR might just be 3.3. Perfect!

My range is 2.5 - 3.5 and my INR was 4.1 the other day, but that's because I was travelling abroad making my INR spike. Guess what? I did NOT change my dose because I would be chasing my tail if I did. Coming back home will just make my INR drop gently to where it belongs :)

Thank you guys!!! Let me ask you something. Since beginning of May, I'm out US. To be more precise right now I'm in South America(Argentina).
I varied my meals very much (I used to have salads with artichokes, lettuce and other veggies on a daily basis) and now I am not. Is there any relation between the meals and weather changes and my inr?
Thanks

Usually daily salads, greens, etc. will tend to keep your INR a bit lower and your dosage of Coumadin would allow for that.
Since you are travelling and eating differently, test your INR often enough and modify doses if needed.
Try to be consistent with diet, exercise, and meds. That is the key.

Another vote for Don't Change Anything.

I don't do a dosage "tweak" unless I'm over 4.0. And then it's just a tiny tweak.

Thank you guys!!! Let me ask you something. Since beginning of May, I'm out US. To be more precise right now I'm in South America(Argentina).
I varied my meals very much (I used to have salads with artichokes, lettuce and other veggies on a daily basis) and now I am not. Is there any relation between the meals and weather changes and my inr?
Thanks

If you are human, then yes, there is a relationship between what you eat that contains vitamin K, and even the weather. Vitamin K containing veges will make your INR lower. Hot weather will make your INR higher. At least, that's been my experience.

Don't change a thing. 3.5 is a wonderful number, just retest in a week. Personally, I would much rather see my husband at 3.5 than 2.5......

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back