Concerned

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dl_mooney

Surgery date getting closer (Aug. 10). Im concerned that after surgery about my heart getting back to work.Anyone know the odds? In 2007 I had Thyroid surgery & half way my B/P dropped down to the 80s medicines did nothing,B/P did come back up later & surgery on both sides were completed, Thats what started this process (monitoring ).I will talk to the Anesthesiologist about this as Heart Surgeon said I would be in a deep narcotic sleep for this procedure (mitral valve replacement, maybe more).Hope I can keep my nerves under control. Thanks

Just about everyone here on VR.com (or a family member) has had their Heart Stopped AND successfully Restarted. The mortality rates for first time surgeries are around 1% nationally and naturally even lower with Top Surgeons and Hospitals that do this type of surgery on a regular basis.

As you indicated, it is best to Talk with your Surgeon and Anesthesiologist about your fears.

At some point, we all have to take that "Leap of Faith".

Having a Positive Attitude goes a Long Way towards enabling a Positive Result.

Best Wishes!

It is normal to get nervous when facing such a situation. But remember that millions of dollars were invested to find a good medicine to relieve the nerves/anxiety. So, why not take advantage of it as long as it is used as/when needed. I took Prozac (20 mg) from the moment I was informed I needed the surgery, plus xanax (1/4 mg) when I could not control my nerves!! I am happy to have been born in a century where there is a medicine for everything for those sensitive people who need a relief.

As Al and you said, talk to your anetheologist. Since I had a very bad experience when I removed my bunion, I did talk to my anetheologist and asked him to take it very easy with me and to administer it at the lower than lowest dose as I am extremely more senstive to anything including anetheology than the average person. AND indeed he did take that into consideration and thanked me for having share my previous experience.

Good luck. :) Keep a positive attitude...we all had been there and here we are now.

Latest posts

Back