Cold Weather Running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I could use some tips on running in cold weather. Pllllllllease no jokes about it not getting cold in Texas.:D

I started running in August. Took a "break" for hernia surgery, and am back at it. I'm again up to 4-5 miles at a time. Since July, I've put in 75 miles running and another 200 walking. Yesterday ran 4 miles in under 40 minutes - never did that before.

There is a local 5k this Saturday and the weather is about to take the temp down to upper 20's at race time. I have zero experience running in the upper 20's and won't have a chance for a practive run at those temps. I don't expect to win any trophies, but want to do well and be "comfortable".

Any tips on what (not) to wear? How to warm up?

Thanks.

Hello Tom!

Hello Tom!

The old rule to remember: If you're comfortable before you start the race, you're overdressed. Better to start out a little cool, because you'll warm up soon enough. Layering is important. I wear a Cool-Max long sleeve shirt under either a sweatshirt or a hooded sweater. Pants are either a lined nylon type, or if windy and in the teens or 20's, I'll wear a Gore-Tex running suit over everything. Blocks the wind completely. I like a glove liner with simple, cheap garden gloves over them or,if high wind, nylon ski gloves over the liners. Winter or summer, Thorlo socks provide comfort and wicking. Keep your shoes dry no matter what! Never been much for warming up...just like to get started and warm up that way. Best of luck on your 5K....You'll do great!

Tom,

I've ran and cycled in cold weather and the key is layering. Start with a thin base layer that breathes, like silk underwear. Avoid bulky stuff like sweatshirts. You'll be surprised how much heat you generate running. If you just have some tights and a windbreaker of some sort that you can zip up or down you should be able to regulate your temp. Also, don't forget the extremities. I use a real thin hat that is a liner under my bike helmet. Some light gloves will do good as well. For a 5K it'll be over before you realize it's cold. Standing around at the start will be the coldest time.

Enjoy. I'm off for my big 1 mile walk! Recovery is going well!

Jim

Cold can make you run even better!

Cold can make you run even better!

Tom:

I'm not an expert of course, everybody is different, but
will agree the tips from Mark, Les and Jim are all very good.

Cooler temps can actually be better conditions to run/walk
because sweating is not as big an issue as would be the
case in warmer weather. The first few minutes of your
run might be tough, but, after that the body generates
such heat you shouldn't feel the cold.

Running in the cold forces you to focus more on your
technique and avoid other distractions.

Have found low temps only present a real problem if there's
a strong wind blowing heavily too. Than it's great when it's
at your back--bites you when in hitting from the front and
can play havoc when going into cross winds.

Layering-no question the answer. Dress in thin layers.
Cool-Max next to the skin. I like a sweat shirt and another
t-shirt on top of that if weather demands such.

Use knitted glove liners by HIND to avoid frigid fingers.

I wear running shorts under long nylon pants. Will go
to most events year around this way. Removing the nylon
just prior to the event and leave at the gear-check station
except when the climate requires that I keep them on.

A head band works wonders in the cold.

Must agree 100% with Les on THORLO socks.
Made with Cool-Max and Lyrca....terrific year around.
Spendy, however, well worth the investment.

Suggest you drink plenty of water. Dehydration can
occur even in winter.

Well, enough from me--go out and have fun.

Thanks,

I'm adding Thorlo socks and silk underwear to my Christmas wish list.

I have a polyester long sleeve turtle neck "Polarmax" - lightweight. I'm concerned that it won't be enough. I have a lightweight wool sweater that gets me toasty and over heated easily.

Joe, you posted........"I wear running shorts under long nylon pants. Will go to most events year around this way. Removing the nylon just prior to the event and leave at the gear-check station except when the climate requires that I keep them on."........It's that "climate requires" that gets me. I have a pair of polypropylene longjohns, but I get overheated above 40F. How do you decide whether to leave your nylons on or not?

It's 57 now and I'm out for a jog.

Thanks again.

TOM, you'll do well, no doubt about it.

TOM, you'll do well, no doubt about it.

In reply to questions.

During the spring and summer the nylon outfit I use
is unlined. During the early spring and late fall I like
lined pants. They act as warm-ups.

Most events here start off between 8-9AM. Some
even earlier. Travel to races maybe anywhere from a
few minutes to a few hours. There are days when I'm
leaving the house at sunrise or even before.

Event locations might be in the forest preserves, along
a lake or river--on neighborhood streets----even in the
middle of no-where. Temps, conditions vary widely.
I try and reach the site early enough to asset the situation.
Usually will brave the cold unless strong blustery winds
are a problem. Rain also makes everything more
challenging. Would wish they made windshield wipers
for glasses.

To echo Les, go lighter rather than heavier.

TOM, you'll have to decide what works for you.

In closing.......you don't know what real cold weather
is until you find yourself going to the outdoor portable
toilets to get warm!

Have fun-enjoy the experence.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Well, the race time temp was about 32 with a bright sun and very light wind. I took your collected advice and dressed down.

Bike shorts covered by polyester gym shorts. Polyester turtleneck covered by polyester tee shirt. Head band. Gloves. I was pretty cold for the first mile, then was okay. Took off the golves at 1.5 miles. Took off the head band at 2 miles.

My goal was 30 minutes and the actual time was 28:59.47! That's about 4 minutes faster than 3 months ago.:) I'm elated, to say the least.

Next goal is a 10K in Fort Worth in February.

Thanks again for your advice. It really helped.

Congrats. I was watching the parade in Dallas this morning on TV and thinking about you. At least it was sunny!

Jim

Thanks guys. I was whooped at the end. No kick left. But I was so excited that I got up early Sunday and jogged another five miles (slower pace) before church.

That begs a question..............do ya'll run daily?

hi tom!
great job! sounds like you had a great run! good for you!
i think you' re addicted!
i used to run every single day of my life until i started getting older and injuring myself. actually, joey's and our family's cardiologist was the one to tell me to stop running every day (and he's run the ny marathon several times!!).
he reminded me that we are getting older and that our bodies need "recovery time". so, i try and take a day off here and there, sometimes two. i've also started adding different workouts (pilates) that arae non impact workouts.
feels good. i guess it's whatever is right for YOU... everyone is different.
keep up the running and stay well, sylvia

Hi Tom and others

I've just found this site after browsing through information about valve replacement surgery.

I'm on the waiting list for our local public hospital for a Ross procedure and was interested to see your questions regarding running in the cold.

I spent three years in Fort Worth at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and became an avid 'fun-run' participant, but also remember running the Cowtown marathon when it was 1 degree Celsius at the start in shorts, running singlet and cotton gloves...

Unfortunately running is off the agenda at present due to the heart condition, but am hoping to get back to it down the track.
Right now I'm only allowed to walk and have to avoid lifting anything heavy.

Kind regards

Grant Stewart

Hi, Rev

Hi, Rev

Welcome to the site. Hope you have the time to go through lots and lots of threads; there's a huge amount of invaluable information available.

I also know that several of our members had the Ross procedure and will check in here fairly soon.

I presume you're having better weather down under than we are in general here - we appear to be having a fairly early winter throughout the country. Here in Illinois we're girding for snow this afternoon - and it was 55 degrees F (sorry, I'm really poor at the conversion) this morning; so it'll be dropping really fast any time now.

Your family is lovely. Obviously you have lots to live for.

Grant,

I work in Ft. Worth and just had my Ross done in Dallas 3 weeks ago. I feel pretty good and am having no problems. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regards,

Jim
Ross Procedure 11/18/03

Hi Grant-

Welcome to this great site. Good looking family! You'll love the information and support this site offers in a personal way. You can ask lots of questions and there are always very good answers.

Best wishes, and hope to see you here often.

Grant,

Glad you found us. Thanks for posting. I'm planning on running the 10K in the Cowtown in Feb. We have several in here that have run marathons after their valve replacements.

Good luck with your pending "mountain climb" as we call it.

Great picture. I assume that you are the one on the right and that those are your 2 lovely daugters.:)

Thanks Tom, and others for your kind words.

I appreciate knowing their are others out there... btw Tom - my wife would appreciate that she can pass as a sister to my 19 yr old daughter! (I also have two sons aged 14 and 18)

Kind regards

Grant

Latest posts

Back